Review: Uncovering the layers of history and politics in Andrew Lawler's "Under Jerusalem"

Originally published at: Review: Uncovering the layers of history and politics in Andrew Lawler's "Under Jerusalem" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Looking forward to reading this.

The one time I toured Jerusalem I was gobsmacked at the cultural and historical significance of the old city and was constantly overwhelmed at how compacted the area is with Muslims, Jews and Christians co-existing together in relative peace while at the same time openly hating each other.

I could never shake the weight of history knowing that every speck of dirt has been fought over continually for the last 2500 years. Only after visiting there can you realize how intractable the conflict is and how impossible it will be to ever resolve the issue of control over the area.

5 Likes

Anyone interested in this topic should take a look at the site of Emek Shaveh which explains how political views shape the science of archaeology (how deep you stop digging depends on the story you wish to tell) and how right-wing political forces in Israel are trying to erase both the present day rights and the history of Palestinians. I took one of their enlightening alternative archaeology tours a few years ago and enjoyed it greatly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.