Revisiting the horrifically sexist Battleship game cover from 1967

I was thinking about how lame battleship was, and I realized it’s basically hide-and-seek, on a board, without any of the physical exercise or adventure of finding cool hiding places.

7 Likes

“Hopes and dreams are what keep us from doing our jobs” applies to men as well, unfortunately.

(switches web page and goes back to looking busy as boss walks by.)

7 Likes

once in the winter of 90, when i was delivering pizzas in the estes park area, i went to a house and was confronted with the fascinating, and really kind of heartwarming sight of a father and his 12-13 year old son making and decorating christmas cookies while the mother and her 14-15 year old daughter were in the den watching a football game. i love stereotype inversions.

14 Likes

i enjoyed battleship back in the day, but i would certainly love to find a copy of this game to play now. who doesn’t want their date to be a dreamboat?

2 Likes

I highly recommend listening to the episode of the Stuff You Should Know podcast about the Barbie Doll. You wouldn’t believe how many times over the years Mattel tried, with good intentions, to do something inclusive and non-sexist with Barbie, but every single time they shot themselves in the foot. Like the first time they made a black doll, but they just used the regular Barbie doll mold with darker plastic skin and called her Colored Francie. Or when they released a book where Barbie took a computer class, but she had boys do all the work while she virused everyones computer. I suspect the idea for the Battleship illustration made perfect sense when the entirely male committee came up with it in some old smoke-filled board room, but that sense was lost when it reached reality.

6 Likes

Is this an every-four-years thing like the Olympics?

3 Likes

Especially considering the girl just kicked his ass in a game of connect 4. Pretty sneaky, Sis.

3 Likes

Ah, that takes me back to a time when dates were met with a sense of hope, instead of results like this…

1 Like

Har! I remember showing this to my “millennial” daughter on the first Boing Boing go-round. Her head exploded.

When I was a kid (I’m 55), it was still considered legit to refer to some menial tasks as “women’s work”. WTF, right?

There was a big advertising push in the 50’s and 60’s to get the women back in the kitchen, after they got a tiny taste of liberation in the munitions factories during the war. It was partly sexist but also a push to sell all those whiz-bang new appliances and TV dinners. Grandma was a drudge, but you can be cool and sexy using these new space age vacuums and Frigidaires! Think pink!

3 Likes

No chance of that. I have spoken with quite a few people recently who feel that they possess a moral compass and worldview that is the final and perfect evolution of human values.

But really, such an attitude will just make it harder for them when they are mocked by their grandchildren’s generation for having quaint and outdated views. Even that is a best case scenario. Those kids might turn out to have less humility than that, and describe the views not as “quaint”, but “horrifically …ist” . They might even hate you for for views that are current, trendy, but held with the best of intentions

1 Like

The real ads are hard to outdo.

5 Likes

Speaking of assumptions…

18 Likes

a girl watches a boy who watches birds while holding a typewriter on his lap. Something about her mild leer suggests he is not her brother.

…To me it suggests, “That itching powder (or something else our young chemist has concocted) is about to take effect any second now…”

7 Likes

There is a Nuclear War card game. It doesn’t have the effects of that commercial, but in my experience it often ends in MAD. Boardgamegeek link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/713/nuclear-war

2 Likes

reprinted in 1972 and 2005

2 Likes

Au contraire. This is the era that many are nostalgic for, when “men could be men” and “women could be women”, before feminism and political correctness “ruined” everything. This picture captures exactly what they’re really talking about.

9 Likes

Note. I said “I”.

With my user name, I simply can’t stay silent on how many years ago January 2014 was.

7 Likes

It’s fun to imagine what else they might have been doing. My vote is for a Puerto Rican knife fight.

3 Likes