Another 1960s game I would not give my kid

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/22/another-1960s-game-i-would-not.html

7 Likes

Milton Bradley’s prototype for today’s dating sites.

8 Likes

Boy there was a phone dating board game in the 90’s that this reminded me of.

5 Likes

I like Weird Al’s version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTQM5NgiX9o

4 Likes

This was far from being a 1960s game – it was still around in new editions in the 1970s/1980s and according to Wikpedia it was even rereleased in 2005! Yes, it was kind of creepy, but it isn’t like one of the 1960s artifacts unknown outside of its decade.

7 Likes

Your Date:
Tony Stevens
Age 17, 5’ 10"
On the football team and choir.

Hobbies include: Probably not axe murdering.

17 Likes

Tbh, I don’t see what’s supposed to be so creepy about this. It’s teenage girls swooning over handsome boys, big deal.

3 Likes

That does a lot for it.

1 Like

Figures a boy wouldn’t understand.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Look, This is not creepy and Milton Bradly makes the best games in the world.

3 Likes

Dream Phone.

Let’s go with this:

6 Likes

I guess it’s creepy because it’s a game about dating in which the girls have no control over who their date will be, and the only way to “win” is to collect pieces of an outfit that match said date.

Of course, games should not inform our ideas about dating and relationships, but I think it’s fair to say that they do.

9 Likes

The way girls were socialized, especially back in the 1960s, always struck me as kind of creepy. Luckily, a lot of them survived their indoctrination. Granted, this is more along the lines of Lisa Simpson poring through her copy of “Non Threatening Boys” magazine. Let’s face it. Men can be dangerous, generally more dangerous than women, but grown up girls frequently find out that they like hanging around with one.

4 Likes

There were four archetypes in that original game. Two “winners” and two “duds”.

The two “winners” were the jock and the prep.

The two “duds” were the dweeb and the hoodlum.

The hoodlum wore a black leather jacket, white t-shirt and blue jeans.

No woman I know who played that game deviates from stating that the one they all really wanted (if they were het) was the “hoodlum”.

14 Likes

I strongly associate Dream Phone with another electronic board game from that era: Mall Madness

3 Likes

“Mystery Date?”

Does it allow you to date Vincent Price?

9 Likes

23 Likes

“Enigma Date”

Where players can date Paul Lawrence.

7 Likes

Mystery Date…today’s version? OKCupid roulette.

1 Like