Another 1960s game I would not give my kid

It’s no mystery. When you pull that door open it’s gonna be a white guy.

26 Likes

I used to play this with my friends back when. There was a trick to twisting the doorknob and, if you knew it, you could get the dream date every time!

That sounds kind of icky, doesn’t it!

5 Likes

Only if you do it right.

6 Likes

it’s not creepy – it’s just not your scene. man, people are so judgey.

3 Likes

A game that involves a girl winning by wearing clothes that attract the attention of dim-witted fraternity boys and school athletes – what could go wrong?

6 Likes

How about a shout out for Lawn Darts?

6 Likes

Plot Twist - the Mystery Date turns out to be a prune.

9 Likes

It’s not that teen girls might do this, it’s the stereotype that that’s WHAT they ALL do that’s a problem. Teen girls, are, surprisingly, multifaceted individuals who have varied interests and shouldn’t be imagined to be so one-dimensional.

11 Likes

You think that’s creepy? Well, I have it on very good authority that Colonel Mustard did it in the library with the candlestick.

7 Likes

I had that in the 60s. I kind of liked the “dud” best, although we never really played the game, just took turns twisting the door knob and guessing which one would come up. To this day I still get the song stuck in my head.

:musical_note: mystery daaaate, are you ready for your mystery daaaate, don’t be late for your mystery date.

You know what I wouldn’t give a kid today?

Ah, fuck it. Sure I would, I never burnt myself that badly.

ETA @SqualusAcanthias, MD was marketed towards preteens, I was around nine when I got it.

5 Likes

NOTE TO 1960 GIRLS:

“Dweeb” grew up to run a billion dollar company.

7 Likes

I’m not sure that impresses all girls, though.

7 Likes

Only the ones who like money :wink:

Also, I hear some dweebs make shit for money, but are some times funny.

3 Likes

Do you have a particular dweeb in mind?

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s yet another stereotype about many women - we’re all just gold diggers out to sell our vaginas to the highest bidder…

Some of us, of course, are dweebs ourselves! :wink:

7 Likes

I was referring to myself. Only I was joking because I am not really funny. Which is ok, my mom says looks aren’t everything.

Well of course not all, but some. And not just women. I’d do it, but let’s be honest, no one pays for tripe if they can afford Fillet Mignon :wink:

4 Likes

Well, I thought it was funny, because I kind of thought you were referring to yourself. :wink:

3 Likes

This one was better than a chemistry set, not only did you work with melting plastic fire hazard, but you could easily smash your fingers

https://goo.gl/images/9S04aE

2 Likes

Why not Swoop?
Swoop | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

I just always liked the cover…

2 Likes

We had one of those, too. We never put anything together, we just liked melting the plastic. Now this was my favorite, I wish I still had it.

2 Likes