Another 1960s game I would not give my kid

4 Likes

I don’t think we had one of those, but I do remember using one. Mattel later came out with Incredible Edibles, I think it was called, it was Creepy Crawlers made with edible goo.

Kids today don’t know what they’re missing…scars, trips to the ER.

3 Likes

I was fascinated by this one, but no way my family could afford it.

From what I read, the toys were zapped with some kind of ionization thing that gave the surface a “memory,” so when reheated returned to their original shape.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Also, did anyone else notice what the (non-Simpsons) dud was packing? He can wear whatever the hell he wants, because he’s not going to be wearing it for long.

1 Like

This game was how I discovered at the age of nine that I was a dud, which adolescence later confirmed.

1 Like

We played several of those 1960 games when my daughter was little in the early nineties. Even in second or third grade the ridiculousness of mystery date was apparent to her. It was an early preview of the sexism she would face growing up . It’s apparent now that there was no harm done PS the Nancy Drew game was her favorite.

1 Like

Kinda hard to represent all of that in a game, no? What you do in a game is an extremely oversimplified and far-fetched representation of real-world actions.

I had a cool thread where you were to post your favorite toy, but it got locked over time.

3 Likes

Oh man, I remember one Christmas, I desperately wanted this :

I assembled it, and ran it on Christmas morning. One of the features on it was a hook on the bottom of the copter. One of the only things it could do besides fly around and round was to pick up little doodads with that hook. Well, I flew it too close to the carpet, Got the hook stuck, and promptly ripped the guts right out of the cheap plastic helicopter, ruining it within an hour of unpacking it.

8 Likes

The Boardgame Of Dr Moreau.

1 Like

I sure as shit would give this to a kid. I was playing around with stuff like this when I was younger, and I turned out okay. Besides, they’re not going to learn to not burn themselves unless they burn themselves a couple times.

4 Likes

Sometimes just being a dweeb is enough.

Geeks and nerds aren’t people who are bad at being jocks and preps. They’re subcultures in their own right.

1 Like

Sure.

INCOMING!!!

4 Likes

I was very fortunate to have had those years of plenty while I was young. And I have no idea how they did it, but I spent hours capsuling and un-capsuling those creatures.

Maybe people shouldn’t have been making games on offensive stereotypes about women in the first place? And games can be complicated and fun and better represent the real world or aspects of it. Even table top games. Hasn’t the current crop of games available to the public shown that?

2 Likes

Um… I know.

2 Likes

Then why doesn’t everybody?!?

It’s not exactly rocket science.

Joel Hodgson used to include this in his prop comedy, but I can’t find a video online…

He had a bit about those, too (after about 3.5 minutes in):
link (EDIT: Preview wasn’t working after I saved)
(Also, IIRC, the prop after 1 min 50 sec got him in trouble, after he left in the the wastebasket at the hotel after the show)

1 Like

Other people aren’t either a) nerds, geeks, or dweebs or b) people who study nerds, geeks, or dweebs and subcultures, or in my case, c) both. :wink:

2 Likes