Another 1960s game I would not give my kid

I’m neither a skater nor someone who studies skaters, but I know a skater is a skater.

3 Likes

But are all people who sometimes maybe skate always a skater?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Perhaps, but not everyone who sometimes maybe dweebs is a billionaire, or everyone would be a billionaire. We’ll, except the Fonz. Poor fella.

I feel like there ought to be a board game for billionaire boys. Behind doors one and two are a Slovenian American model and a hotel room in Russia. Behind doors three and four are Rosa Luxemburg and Claire Lacombe.

On a slightly more serious note, I wonder how much games like this proliferated because men in marketing departments decided parents were unlikely to buy toys that didn’t reinforce stereotypes, and how much it was because they were right. My guess would be a positive (as in self-reinforcing, not as in good) feedback loop between the conservative traditions of parents and the conservative traditions of the people who ran toy companies, or at least the perception by both that it was safer and therefore better to toe the prevailing cultural line. And in this regard, although our social mores have evolved somewhat since the 60’s, I suspect the feedback loop is still well in effect and resisting mainstream marketing of subversive toys.

3 Likes

I’m surprised nobody has posted this Mystery Date yet…

3 Likes

3 Likes

Dud zero?

1 Like

Get that shit off my monitor. Now.

3 Likes

He’s the guy who wrote the book on being a pick up artist. He’s scum.

4 Likes

Yeah, I googled the picture. In this case I’m okay with judging a creep by its cover.

3 Likes

I was trying to come up with something creepier than the game itself. Too soon?

4 Likes

It’s certainly creepier than the game, that’s for sure! :wink: I think you may have scarred @LearnedCoward, though!

5 Likes

No, not at all. Someone can be obsessed with skateboarding but not buy into the culture, or they can be a total poseur who doesn’t skate at all but still thinks of themselves as a skater. Lots of wiggle room there.

Nerd poseurs exist too. It’s like everyone who wore glasses or was in band or was in the second-highest math class in high school talks about how big of a nerd they used to be, but they were never social outcasts, just less-than-popular kids with nerdy/geeky aspects. This contributes to the perception of nerds and geeks as failed cool kids. However, I have known many proud nerds and geeks who own that label and aren’t failed anything.

It’s way easier to be a nerd or geek in adulthood than it is during high school, because there’s more self-determination. Given the choice, I would not hang around rednecky hometown hero types itching to beat up anyone who’s the slightest bit different from them, but in high school we occupied the same space and not by choice.

1 Like

I thought my reaction was too strong not to share.

Plus it’s another post to put between the douchebag and the end of the thread.

3 Likes

Horrible. I remember the sound of it, but I don’t remember seeing it. must not have gotten glasses yet

DuckDuckGo says 1965, so yeah, no glasses

Most traumatic present ever for my husband when he was little. He unwrapped it, and his dad and uncle assembled it, started playing with it and promptly broken it. Never got to play with it once. Still irks him.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.