Reza Aslan explains why we need more Muslim representation on TV

That is a good question. I will read the footnotes when I get back in the office. I would assume the former, but assumptions are problematic

You aren’t familiar with what’s going on in Myanmar, are you?

8 Likes

There was an overall 6% rise in hate crimes last year, mainly because “attacks against American Muslims surged” according to the FBI. In particular 2015 saw a rise in attacks on mosques.

How much of that, according to your sources, is attributable to false claims?

9 Likes

I have even been there. But it would be inaccurate to state that the conflicts in Burma are rooted in the different groups interpreting Buddhist scripture in ways that require them to kill the heretics on the other side. I would say that the conflicts have occurred despite the practice of Buddhism among many of the participants.

Even if you don’t think the Buddhists killing Muslims are “real” Buddhists, that’s still their interpretation… or misinterpretation, whatever you want to call it. No religion is immune from being used for violence.

7 Likes

I hope I did not give the impression that I believed that adherents of any religion are incapable of violence.

So for all other religions incidents of violence are rare, isolated things, but Muslims, they’ll go on unique blood soaked murder-fests as soon as they can as a systemic problem unique to that religion? Is that what you’re trying to say?

8 Likes

Yes you did.

That’s like saying secret Christians can bake secret pies… as opposed to starting the KKK.

10 Likes

What is the name of the country? Hint: it is disrespectful of both people and nations to call them by a name they claim is not theirs.

6 Likes

No, I am saying that incidents of reported religious hate crimes are still a small issue in the US. 1354 reported to the FBI in 2015. 694 of those were anti-Jewish. 300 were reported to be anti Islamic. This is a pretty big country. 300 incidents should be addressed, which is happening. But 300 reported incidents does not represent a culture of widespread Islamophobia.

What is the preferred name? I thought it was the junta that changed it to Myanmar but most people still used Burma, and Aung San Suu Kyi preferred that?

3 Likes

What’s your source for claiming that “the vast majority” of hate crimes against Muslims are falsely reported?

9 Likes

I depends on who you ask. I say Germany, Japan, and Denmark when I am speaking English. I was last in “The Union of Myanmar” in the early 90s, and Burma was not considered a pejorative then.

I was referring specifically to the Hijab grabbing instances. I have not been keeping exact score, but most or all of the ones I have read about have turned out to be false, mistaken, or unproven.

Most harassment of all kinds is “unproven.”

A: “Some jerk on the bus just called me names for wearing my hijab.”
B: “PROVE IT!!”

9 Likes

If you were referring specifically to those cases why didn’t you feel it was important to make the distinction between them and other kinds of hate crimes?

4 Likes

So Muslims aren’t just crypto-terrorists but also liars?

11 Likes
11 Likes

http://www.startribune.com/viral-washburn-high-school-fight-video-was-a-hoax-district-says/410736925/

So you found 6… Out of how many reported incidents? Are the ones that DID happen irrelevant in the light of these half dozen?

12 Likes