Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy is still a go a Disney

Originally published at: Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy is still a go a Disney | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’m definitely in the group of Star Wars fans who loved the Last Jedi. And I equally hated how the Rise of Skywalker completely erased the positive elements the Last Jedi introduced into the lore (namely, that anyone can be the hero, not just people with the right pedigree and genetics). I hope Johnson gets to make his trilogy. I’m doubtful, but I’ll definitely watch it if it happens.

27 Likes

Sadly, based on the language of Hollywood I don’t think I’d interpret the above statement as meaning that the new trilogy is “still a go” for Disney, only that they haven’t completely ruled out the possibility.

5 Likes

Hello, friend. You’re in good company. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

You mean “the correct group of fans”

7 Likes

I’m going to go with my daughter with this: we loved Rian Johnson’s film after the Abrams being okay enough to go again - it was basically the very first film again - and then the follow up killed any nascent fandom she might have had. On the bus home from that one with friends nobody felt inclined to talk about the film we’d just left. We all seemed to pretend it never happened.

1 Like

Well, I’m not going to go that far, because it sounds too much like gatekeeping, and there are some valid criticisms of the Last Jedi. That being said, I think the people who hate the Last Jedi do tend, on average, to be the kind of people I generally wouldn’t be friends with. And not because they hated the Last Jedi, just because they tend to be the same people whining about “wokeness.”

5 Likes

Let the Rogue One dude make some more Star Wars movies and let’s pretend the other three movies didn’t happen. It’ll be better for everyone concerned.

15 Likes

Tony Gilroy, who co-wrote the screenplay for Rogue One, is the creator and co-writer of the upcoming Disney+ series Andor, so that’s definitely on my watch list.

10 Likes

rogue one GIF by Star Wars

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe settling for some high-quality streaming shows rather than rushing more theatrical releases is a good way to go for now. It’s easier to just ignore the bad ones and try to forget about them (looking at you, Mr. Fett) and the good ones have storytelling and character development opportunities that can play out over time and aren’t possible in a 2-hour movie. Especially at a time where corporate bigwigs are currently so risk-averse when it comes to blockbuster movies.

2 Likes

I’m going to jump in and state that The Last Jedi is both the best movie in the sequel trilogy, but also in the top 5 Star Wars movies in general.

3 Likes

Please. I rewatched Rogue One the other day – it was great fun all the way through. With maybe one or two exceptions (Han confronting his son) I can’t tell you with any certainty which set piece happened in which of the last three movies.

2 Likes

What movie did you watch again? Sounds like you’re talking about Rise of Skywalker.

3 Likes

Not just good company, but the MAJORITY of fans of the film and Star Wars in general. All of the Star Wars films got a “mixed reception” but people oversell the “mixed reception” of TLJ in an attempt to magnify the numbers of marginal misogynistic racist choads who threw internet tantrums over the movie (and that magnification is probably why we got the garbage RoS, to appease “the fans” who were actually just a vocal whiny minority who are bad at assessing both art and politics).

4 Likes

Every time I get into a discussion of E 7/8/9, I have to look up the titles of the movies to remember which one was which – and even then I’m kind of lost. I didn’t think E 1/2/3 were all that, but I can sketch out the plots of those in decent detail. (Obviously, as someone who was 7 when Star Wars itself came out, I can recount the first three movies shot-by-shot).

2 Likes

I think of Rogue One as episode 3.5. Or maybe 3.9, given its location on the timeline.

2 Likes

That was way too violent for me. Lots of good things about it but it was absolute carnage and no way I’d bring the childer to it.

2 Likes

Fair, but which of the movies didn’t include a whole lot of carnage?

1 Like

True but it was like they took as their main plot “a lot of xxxxx died for these plans” and totally ran with it.

It was a bit gross.

2 Likes