Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker receives dismal reviews

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/18/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalk.html

3 Likes

As someone who liked The Last Jedi and generally dislikes JJ Abrams I 100% saw this coming.

32 Likes

Star Wars Fandom: a group of people united in the collective hate of Star Wars.

46 Likes

Can I say that the nowadays nerd deserves all the bad films and comics?

Nerd: WE WANT NEW THINGS!
Someone: A
Nerd: BUT THIS IS NOT MY SERIES!

12 Likes

Even the last episode of The Mandalorian managed to throw some shade at the prequels by making an offhand joke about Gungans.

17 Likes

I do love the life day reference in the first episode of the Mandalorian.

15 Likes

Wow it’s almost as if millions of voices suddenly cried out Meh and were totally not silenced!

31 Likes

This all just confirm me…

Star Wars fans didn’t deserved Jar-Jar Binks…

THEY DESERVED A WHOLE DEATH STAR FULL OF JAR-JAR BINKS!

11 Likes

Sigh… well that is disappointing.

You know who should be in charge of creative direction?

This guy.

Look at his body of work. I won’t say all of it is perfect, but IMO he gets Star Wars better than anyone else in a creative position that I know of. I think the fact The Mandalorian is so strong proves this.

7 Likes

I think I have ADD or something, after a dozen episodes or so, I get bored with it all. Yea I’ll go with friends to be social, but if it was just me, I’d wait for it to be on TV, which I guess will be Disney+ so I’m even less eager to watch it.

2 Likes

After a strong start the Mandalorian really starts to falter. And Filoni used the 7 Samurai already in both Clone Wars and Rebels and still found it to be a good idea to recycle it once more. I’m not so sure about that. Clone Wars took at least two seasons to really get good, Rebels only was good when it was about characters that were established elsewhere (Ahsoka facing Vader is a bit of my highlight of the whole franchise).

I think the biggest problem with the new trilogy is that they did not path out an arch and just left it to each new team, which lead to flip flopping plot points and priorities.

12 Likes

And absolutely no one was surprised. I mean, there was a minuscule chance that JJ Abrams might finally have learned to end something in a satisfying way, but I wasn’t holding my breath.

4 Likes

Looks like I’ll wait for the Family Guy remake.

7 Likes

It’s all a problem with JJ Abrams and his mystery boxes.

15 Likes

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 2.40.10 PM

Weird that there’s so many excited, happy, rave reviews out there for a movie getting “dismal reviews”.

11 Likes

Someone needs to tell JJ Abrams that not every storyline needs a McGuffin.

9 Likes

The speed that they killed this franchise is nothing less than amazing.

8 Likes

Well I’m gonna say something most folks aren’t going to like or agree with but Star Wars has no legs. It was a Flash Gordon fan service mixed with criticism of Nixon and the Vietnam War. Beyond that, it really has nothing else to tell us as a story. It was a Skywalker saga from start to finish and attempting to expand on that is in my opinion foolish. Sometimes fairy tales end with “and they all lived happily ever after…” Disney doesn’t agree but Disney will eventually hit a wall too big to climb over to keep the franchise business model going. I fear that through its dogged determination many independent directors and writers are being funneled into these films without regard for the art form and just general enjoyment of all. Hopefully this will put some damper on running straight into the next Star Wars project.

Also, JJ Abrams is overrated and unimaginative as a director. Why do they keep hiring this clown?

28 Likes

Gooom byyyeeee, Binks!

Destruction-Bad-Guys-Orb-Shaped-Bases

5 Likes

All of this.

1 Like