Rich people are trying to get in-home plastic surgery during quarantine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/26/rich-people-are-trying-to-get.html

3 Likes

23 Likes

I find it kind of gross that “extremely successful” is being used here to mean “obscenely wealthy entitled people” but I guess that’s the kind of polite euphemism one has to use when one caters to such clientele.

28 Likes

I guess the article is talking about the rich people who are not rich enough to have their plastic surgery done in one of those private specialized clinics that provide in-seclusion post-op weeks-long first-class accommodations and luxurious personalized treatment. Poor rich people.

15 Likes

Why not get a cruise ship and do it in international waters?

7 Likes

I don’t get the appeal of plastic surgery, I really don’t.

(Except obviously for reconstructive surgery and other medically sound cases)

4 Likes

Yeah that’s gonna be a hard NO from anyone who has been remotely paying attention to the last several times cruise ships were mentioned in the news.

8 Likes

No, not book a room on a cruise ship. Buy the whole ship. I’m sure they’ll be available at a bargain. Anyone [who matters] will be able to easily afford one.

4 Likes

ouran-HS-host-club-haruhi-rich-people

13 Likes

Why is breast augmentation always about size? Why not more useful features like sub-woofer speakers, a charging pad, radiation detection or wi-fi hotspot? There seem to be so many possibilities. Really a failure of imagination.

12 Likes

Short answer - not everybody has the same attachments.

10 Likes

17 Likes

I came here to see who posted this.

Oh, you mean a yacht.

3 Likes

Well “extremely successful” at least in terms of hoarding resources…

I’m guessing not “extremely successful” in personal development/being a compassionate human, etc…

1 Like

“Rich people” is an appropriate, emotionally neutral term. That’s how journalism should be, and in most cases I want journalism: not polemic, not comedy.

But in this case I want polemic and comedy, so let’s call them “Rich humans” – or better yet, “Rich hominids”.

Speaking of rich, here’s something else – I just learned this the other day –

Our modern diva derives from the Latin dives, “divine, godlike” (cognate of ancient “Zeus” and modern “deity”), and is embodied in the Roman personal name Divus, “rich”. Here is an excerpt from an interesting blog post on the subject by scholar Peter Kruschwitz:

One of the recurring features of the Latin inscriptions (of Cologne just as much as everywhere else, of course) is mention of gods or other spirits – dei, deae, divi, divini .

This reminded him (and me) of a question he had asked a few weeks earlier, and which I had shamefully delayed to answer: is there a link, etymologically, between divus (‘godlike’) and divinus (‘divine’) on the one hand and dives (‘rich’) on the other?

Or, as my son had put it in a Skype conversation, just to puzzle his already perplexed father a little further … suntne divini divites ?

The answer is … probably yes, actually. Divus , as Latin deus , is related to an Indo-European root that signifies ‘heaven’ or ‘sky’ (incidentally, the same root that survives in the English word ‘Tuesday’ and German ‘Dienstag’).

Dives , in turn, has been explained in relevant etymological dictionaries as an adjective that denotes the (pecuniary) power of someone upon whom the gods do smile – in a similar way in which fortuna-tus may refer to someone who has been blessed, financially, by Fortuna.

Morphologically, the word formation appears to follow a simple logic: a dives being someone whose influence (and affluence) is based on the approval of the divi just as an eques (‘knight’, ‘horseman’) is someone whose might is based on the power of equi (‘horses’).

The Petrified Muse is the blog of Peter Kruschwitz, Professor of Ancient Cultural History (Antike Kulturgeschichte) at the University of Vienna and Fellow of the Pontifical Academy for Latin (Pontificia Academia Latinitatis).

5 Likes

Their only success might be in choosing the right family tree to be born into.

8 Likes

Someone will make a male version

3 Likes

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

7 Likes

Yup

5 Likes