Richard H Kirk, co-founder of Cabaret Voltaire, RIP

Originally published at: Richard H Kirk, co-founder of Cabaret Voltaire, RIP | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Not familiar with Cabaret Voltaire, but I suspect many groups I like were. Nice beep boops!

3 Likes

A particular favorite, Hipnotic, from his solo album Black Jesus Voice … very creative and ahead of his time, Daft Punk stole a lot of tricks from him.

5 Likes

One of my all-time favourites. I sometimes smuggled it into a mixtape…
Got the odd slightly alarmed “Did the stereo/speakers just break?!?” or “Oh my God, WHAT IS THIS!?!” reaction. Always worth it.
Also, a nice song to dance to.

8 Likes

While I probably have more Cabaret Voltaire and RHK (+ other nomikers) CD’s than any other group. In fact I probably listen to more of his solo stuff than CV. The “Pressure Company” live album and 2x45 are timeless favorites though.

This loss will be tough to get over.

8 Likes

As I was just starting my journey away from mainstream music, Cabaret Voltaire was one of the first bands I found around '84 or '85. I still have the vinyl of The Voice of America.

6 Likes

I am more familiar with Richard H Kirk from collaborations like Sweet Exorcist.

Jarvis Cocker also used to make videos for Warp Records. Sheffield’s techno scene was a lot of people from unrelated musical genres coming together and seeing what worked.

8 Likes

RIP RHK
poet saint revolutionary

5 Likes

Damnit! All my musical heroes are dying. This one really hurts. I will never forget the first time I heard Cabaret Voltaire back in 1983. They were another band that cracked my head open and blew my mind. Their influence is so far-reaching it defies description. So many different styles and genres. I loved all of their phases. I have drifted off to sleep to the sounds of Project 80 from the album The Conversation more than any other song except maybe the 40 minute version of Blue Room by The Orb. Kirk was truly a bellwether.

6 Likes

“Just Fascination” is the track that really defined the PostIndustrial rock style.

3 Likes

Sensoria is the song that will always pull me out if my seat and onto the dancefloor like a cartoon hobo being drawn to a pie cooling on the window sill.

Sad to hear he has passed away. Glad that I had the opportunity to experience his art.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

CV changed my life.

So sad to hear but happy to remember.

3 Likes

Back in those early years the words “Cabaret Voltaire” served as a secret handshake to distinguish regular punk rockers/new wavers from this very OTHER genre. Glad I got to see them in Chicago in the mid 80s. I’ve tried to be a RHK completitist, but it ain’t easy! Trafficante, Sandoz, Dark Magus…on and on. Thanks for everything, Mr. Kirk. Ps Virtual State is a great album!!

2 Likes

Off-topic, maybe, but as Richard A Kirk (65) this is a bit too close for comfort.

2 Likes

When I read the news it was the first song that sprang to mind.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.