Rick Santorum thinks white Charleston shooter chose victims at black church ‘indiscriminately’

Proving you can be an asshole and the stuff that comes out of them at the same time.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/rick-santorum-thinks-white-charleston-shooter-chose-victims-at-black-church-indiscriminately/

4 Likes

The poor man. He can’t help but open his mouth and spray santorum around indiscriminately. Maybe he has mental issues?

1 Like

Of course, because it’s never white supremacy. Clearly, Rick is a lone wolf. /s

Also, I want to note that we managed to get the main article shut down within hours of it being posted.

1 Like

My first clue that something was amiss was the title staring with “Rick Santorum thinks”
Because that can’t possibly be true.

6 Likes

So very mad.

[ETA] I hope that Santorum and his ilk double down on this bull shit explanation and get drummed out of the primary by whatever shred of decency the republican party has left.

It’s the new Colorblindness – “Actual racism is always something else.”

1 Like

This is almost enough reason to bring back that inigo montoya meme…

1 Like

In a week where there’s been a national discussion of what it does or doesn’t mean when a white person (Dolezal) takes from the African-American community, here’s old Ricky stealing the grief from the AME community to further his agenda of religiously-sanctioned hate.

Meanwhile, some guy named Bernard Sanders put out a statement. Anyone know anything about this cat?

“The Charleston church killings are a tragic reminder of the ugly stain of racism that still taints our nation. This senseless violence fills me with outrage, disgust and a deep, deep sadness. The hateful killing of nine people praying inside a church is a horrific reminder that, while we have made significant progress in advancing civil rights in this country, we are far from eradicating racism. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and their congregation.”

3 Likes

He’s not opportunistic. I heard from a totally unbiased source that he is a white supremacist. Maybe just waiting for just such a moment to arise. Totally not pandering for whatever low hanging votes he can pick up. That would be totally out of character for someone with such a long long history of spouting primarily race based idiocy. Nope sarcasm isn’t helping.

Of course he’s an asshat, he’s Santorum. But let’s not forget Obama said the Charlie Hendo shooters “randomly shot some folks in a deli” when it was just as obvious that it was targeted.

Hello, friend.

Personally, I find the term “white supremacist” to be a tricky one to employ. Of course, there are those “White Supremacists” who overtly espouse their belief that whites are magically better than other people, and this term often gets applied to the KKK or people who fly the confederate or apartheid flags as a signal to like-minded peers.

Notable academics, however, like Ta-Nehisi Coates or bell hooks, often use the term to describe, in the words of wikipedia, “a system of structural or societal racism which privileges white people over others, regardless of the presence or absence of racial hatred.”

I don’t believe little Ricky is a card-carrying member of the KKK.

I do firmly believe that little Ricky supports the types of regressive political, economic, and cultural systems in which whites have overwhelmingly controled power and material resources.

Edit to add: new TNC article!

3 Likes

if only that were true. Unfortunately, it sounds as if the shooter wanted to shoot black people specifically.

Thanks for the link. It does seem like a great
opportunity to have a moment of seriousness with SC’s white folks about that fucking flag. (But then, I suppose that would just make most of them double down on the denials about it.)

1 Like

Whatever the powerful politician Rick Santorum thinks, here are some other facts, at least according to Reuters.

Roof himself told a police officer who was arresting him earlier this year for illegal possession of prescription painkillers that his parents were pressuring him to get a job.

Roof, described as 5 foot 9 inches (1.75 meters) tall and weighing 120 lb (54 kg), was arrested in the parking lot for trespassing. His car was turned over to his mother. The mall increased the ban to three years.

Roof's profile listed him as having a little over 80 Facebook friends

With all the depth he is capable of, sure, unless he’s told not to. There is a reason his name came to be associated with certain substances.

I’ve been having some problems with a depressive episode beginning a few months ago. I just last week finally started to feel normal again, just out of the rut and this shit starts happening.

The world is so fucked up. I can battle depression with passion and anger at this shit. But is it even worth it?

What with Yulin, and The SC shootings, and the NSA, and Persistent Surveillance Systems trying to get contracts with various cities to run a 24/7 vehicle and person tracking panopticon.

It’s too much. This is the reason why I try to stay away from the news. The news has become mentally unhealthy. But if I don’t keep appraised of it, then I won’t know what actually will fuck up my life.

4 Likes

You can do okay without the news. I take whole months off from the news, it’s great when I feel I need to put it all out of my way. If there were something that could affect me directly or someone I care about, I can depend on someone I care about to alert me.

The news is unhealthy, and it is being further developed to be worse and worse for you by most outlets. I think of it like drugs & alcohol, moderation moderation all the time. If something gets to be too unhealthy I give it up altogether, like alcohol. (I’m not AA, I just can’t metabolize it anymore, I get hungover within an hour of consuming an ounce)

Good luck.

4 Likes

He is trying to flip the script to make this about religious persecution of the majority religion in the USA and the one religion that it is okay to be in the USA. Persecution complex.

Shame on him for using a tragedy like this to push his political platform and for belittling the actual racial discrimination that lead to these tragic deaths.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 610 days. New replies are no longer allowed.