"Ridiculous!" Missouri's House Republicans made stricter dress code — but only for women (video)

The male reps should show up in Borat-styled thong bikinis as a protest.

6 Likes
6 Likes

I would have made the same comment no matter who made the remark.

Politicians are representing people who are struggling in this economy to clothe their kids, pay their mortgage/rent, buy groceries, etc… So to have a representative stand up and complain about not being able to wear a $1,200 suit just shows once again how out of touch politicians are. I am not saying she doesn’t have the right to spend her money how she sees fit. She does.

But, just so there is no doubt, I think the republicans setting a dress code that is different for women is total crap and there should never had been a debate to begin with. Personally, I don’t really care what anyone wears to do their job.

If they are dead set on professional attire being worn then a simple “professional attire is to be worn on the floor” is all that’s needed.

Isn’t this the same Republican Party that was warning about Sharia Law coming to America a few years ago?

8 Likes

Sharia Law is Muslim. That’s bad.
Take Sharia Law, rebrand it as pro-Christian “family values”, and that’s good.

9 Likes

I guarantee you there are a lot of men in that room with suits that cost far far more than that…

If you wear suits regularly it’s worth having a few proper tailored ones in the closet, and they are generally going to cost more, but they last longer and fit better. And since the are so expensive you want to be able to actually wear them. Additionally from my experience, my wifes clothes always seem to be more expensive than mine (at the same quality level).

I bet that if she showed up in a non tailored suit she would be called frumpy or something else. Then if she shows up in a nice tailored suit its elitest. There is no winning…

11 Likes

clicked on the article fully expecting the house republican’s advocating for this measure would be men.
is there something in the conservative mindset that they promote these ideas that are against their own self interest??

2 Likes

The problem is that if a male Representative wore an off the rack suit from Men’s Warehouse, no one would comment on his choice of attire. Hell, he could wear the same suit every day and it’s unlikely anyone would notice. With women, though, people would say something, and it probably wouldn’t be nice. I believe you when you say you would have said that about anyone. But women get criticized about what they choose to wear way more often than men, and the criticism isn’t even consistent. Wear something cheap, get criticized for not having better fashion sense. Wear something expensive, get criticized for flaunting wealth. Expose various body parts, you’re a slut. Cover up everything, you’re a stodgy prude.

20 Likes

Needs to go viral (I’m really, really sorry, but this was the only possible response)

6 Likes

Is it? Do you know how she got the suit? Do you know that it wasn’t a gift, or that she did not save up for a while to get that suit? That’s a lot of assumptions there.

ineedthisforreactions GIF

There isn’t a lot of middle of the road price-points for women’s clothing. it’s generally either high end or fast fashion (which often just falls apart quickly).

Red Flag Racism GIF by Snack

And yes, women can buy into misogyny, etc, etc. But the people pushing this are most likely men.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

10 Likes

I think conservative women feel the need to project that they are good and proper by calling out others who they think don’t fit that bill.They are “trashy and low brow”.

Add a little racism to it, and anything outside of conservative suit jacket ensemble is some how inappropriate.

2 Likes

Right. It lets Fox News move on from the transparently hypocritical stuff that Karl Rove called out on their own channel about document discovery. Next scandal - sequins in the state house!

Ohhh myyyy.

3 Likes

Gym Jordan has spent the last few years refusing to wear a jacket in Congress because he doesn’t like the way the 2020 election turned out. Unless fines are taken directly out of their pay, I would suggest these ladies protest in a similar manner. Let the bare arms wave!

9 Likes

I believe the general rule is dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

Right? :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Im right there with you!

1 Like

As Karl Stefanovic proved when he wore the same suit every day for a year on air and no one noticed.

7 Likes

I’m sure they’ll have enough time to restrict abortion rights, rail against critical race theory and control the rights of trans people.

5 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.