Ridiculously massive TiVo

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Let me count.
Two 2TB disks, $150 each (let’s go for better ones).
Six RTL-SDR tuners, $25 each.
That gives us $450.
Then a few 100s for a good motherboard and power supply. And we’re still WAY WAY below the price tag.

And the unit can double as an electronic warfare scanner. Wire the RTL-SDR dongles to run from a common clock source, and voila, six (or more!) coherent receivers that can be used as a passive radar array node.

Or even active one, with using e.g. RFhack board as a pulse source, or, if we want to be crude and add downconverters to the inputs, we can key a microwave oven magnetron - just heat the filament from a separate power supply and pulse the high voltage; ideally you would get some chaotic behavior that makes unpredictably freq- and phase-modulated pulses, sense them with one receiver, and then extract the signature by others; pretty hard to jam/spoof.

And, no limitation of streaming of content to only one device at a time, nor inane limits about streaming off your LAN.

Two terabytes is somewhat anemic for this thing, anyway. Why limits? Why ANY limits, other than the board bandwidth (which, if it gets annoying, can be alleviated by clustering 'em)? (Okay, at a closer look it has 24TB capacity, now THAT sounds better.)

Just pretend the speaker is a TV…

What I’ve heard it that shows like Colbert, Stewart, Oliver… they have massive arrays of TiVos which record the all the news channels so that the writing team can catch all those quips that they replay in-show. I would imagine that for news and/or satire, having super-high-density units like these would come in very handy.

1 Like

They used to, but now they use another huge system from Snapstream.

The fact that I have very little idea what you’re talking about is why they make TiVos in the first place. As you’ve already sussed, it has a 24TB hot-swappable raid array, not 2. It still seems way overpriced, but we don’t know details of the drives or the hardware. As far as I knew, TiVo can support up to four streams at a time, not one. The main limit off of your LAN is being of WiFi, I believe. And being on iOS, but that’s finally going to change.

I’m wondering if the TiVo Mega is super-optimized in some way or has some seriously fault-tolerant drives or something that can justify what seems like a massive uptick in cost…for a home consumer device. For a rack-mounted server, not as much. Does it have redundant power supplies and backplanes, for example?

2 Likes

$5k is pretty darn cheap for the storage hardware, let alone the tuners and software. For comparison, something like a Netgear ReadyNAS 4220 loaded up with 12x2TB drives is about £6k.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.