Right wing freaks out over eco-art in Austria: "Go away and take your shitty forest!"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/18/right-wing-freaks-out-over-eco.html

8 Likes

So Austria has their own variation on the “rolling coal” pinheads. What in God’s name is wrong with the human race?

28 Likes

The BZÖ and the FPÖ should move to the Moon. It’s 100% tree-free.

Not the whole species, just a sizeable minority of willfully ignorant sacks of bile.

27 Likes

Nothing is so good that it can’t inspire someone shitty to be shitty about it. Nothing is so innocuous that it can’t inspire someone to spittle-flecked rage.

22 Likes

Okay… so now the right hates trees? Did I fall asleep and wake up in a Kurt Vonnegut novel?

32 Likes

It’s becoming increasingly clear that some people hate everything.

25 Likes

The right has always hated trees. To them, trees are smug bastards because they stand taller than a man and don’t move no matter what you say to them.

They clean the air and so protect the environment and anything that protects the environment must be liberal so obviously trees are liberal so the right hates trees.

The sad thing is I actually think this is their logic

27 Likes

So when can we just start calling horrible people… horrible people? Hillary Clinton paid a price, possibly, for her “deplorables” comment, but maybe it was really just two syllables too long? We should just call them evil.

5 Likes

They should have been more considerate and planted trees they too could enjoy.

7 Likes

It’s a truly gorgeous work of art – I wish I could see in person myself.

My exact thought when I first read about it. Of course, I’m not a fascist (not even the eco kind), so pulling out my Browning isn’t my first response to new and interesting art.

8 Likes

It’s part of their economic scheme. Seems timely on a few levels. Apologies for the long copypasta from Douglas Adams:

“If," [“the management consultant”] said tersely, “we could for a moment move on to the subject of fiscal policy. . .”

“Fiscal policy!" whooped Ford Prefect. “Fiscal policy!"
The management consultant gave him a look that only a lungfish could have copied.
“Fiscal policy. . .” he repeated, “that is what I said.”
“How can you have money,” demanded Ford, “if none of you actually produces anything? It doesn’t grow on trees you know.”
“If you would allow me to continue… .”
Ford nodded dejectedly.
“Thank you. Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
Ford stared in disbelief at the crowd who were murmuring appreciatively at this and greedily fingering the wads of leaves with which their track suits were stuffed.
“But we have also,” continued the management consultant, “run into a small inflation problem on account of the high level of leaf availability, which means that, I gather, the current going rate has something like three deciduous forests buying one ship’s peanut."
Murmurs of alarm came from the crowd. The management consultant waved them down.
“So in order to obviate this problem,” he continued, “and effectively revalue the leaf, we are about to embark on a massive defoliation campaign, and. . .er, burn down all the forests. I think you’ll all agree that’s a sensible move under the circumstances."
The crowd seemed a little uncertain about this for a second or two until someone pointed out how much this would increase the value of the leaves in their pockets whereupon they let out whoops of delight and gave the management consultant a standing ovation. The accountants among them looked forward to a profitable autumn aloft and it got an appreciative round from the crowd.”

27 Likes

Scheißwald! man, I love German! If I lived there I would totally adopt that name. “Come children, let us go have a picnic in the shitwood”

9 Likes

Can someone do this to a few golf courses? Then leave it as a permanent exhibit?

Golf is probably the 2nd most eco-unfriendly sport after NASCAR.

15 Likes

Kurt Vonnegut and Franz Kafka are co-writing this one, unfortunately.

“One morning, when the human race woke from troubled dreams, they found themselves in world where Orangetyrant Shitweasel had become president of the United States. So it goes.”

14 Likes

For the sports fans – that’s the home of Second Leaguers Sportklub Austria Klagenfurt who are playing their matches at the nearby Karawankenblick Stadion until the exhibit closes in October.

4 Likes

“They clean the air”… I think you’re on to something here. Maybe if somebody informs these Nazis that when they exhale they feed the plants, they’ll decide to simply stop breathing.

18 Likes

When stupid come to town, in the USA it’s wearing a MAGA hat.

5 Likes

Because of the lost balls?

1 Like

I think a lot of the outrage is part in due with how badly people see sport as religion

5 Likes

Ich bin ein Scheißwalder!

3 Likes