RIP Al Matthews, 'Aliens' fantastic Sgt. Apone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/24/rip-al-matthews-aliens-f.html

7 Likes

the best role playing character in Aliens…a move filled with great role playing characters.

8 Likes

Impossible! Marines can’t die with out permission :frowning:

8 Likes

I’ve seen it, it ain’t pretty.

2 Likes

“Every meal’s a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade!”

RIP, Sarge.

11 Likes

RIP:

13 Likes

And the other side of that conversation was Bill Paxton’s Pvt. Hudson, and we don’t have Paxton anymore either :frowning:.

12 Likes

For anyone born in or before 1980;
If you start combing through all your old beloved movies and other pop culture, you will inevitably end up noticing how many of our icons are no longer with us. It’s pretty depressing…

9 Likes

“La la la la, I can’t hear you!”

Nah, you’re right. Stay frosty.

3 Likes

OH shit, the guy was a real Marine.

I spent six years in the United States Marine Corps; I hold thirteen combat awards and decorations, including two purple hearts. I was the first black Marine in the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam to be meritoriously promoted to the rank of sergeant; I served with Kilo Battery, Fourth Battalion, 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division, of that I am very proud.

7 Likes

Thus far Bill Paxton is the only Hollywood star who ever scooted right up next to me and pantomimed how awkward it is to have to pee in a bottle on a cramped research submarine.

10 Likes

That’s crazy, I was rewatching Aliens just yesterday.

1 Like

Yeah, Bill Paxson was great in Aliens. If you ask me Alien and Aliens was the best original and sequel movies ever. RIP Bill and Al.

1 Like

All right, people, what are you waiting for?

Breakfast in bed?

Another glorious day in the corps!

A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm.

Every meal’s a banquet!

Every paycheck a fortune!

Every formation a parade!

I love the corps!

Yes, I know I’m late and this was already quoted.
I thought the thread deserved the full quote…

6 Likes

Hmm, Paxton calls him “sir” but he is a sergeant

RIP bad ass mother fucker

Marines call NCOs “Sir”, at least they did when I was in the military 20+ years ago.

1 Like

And a brilliant singer too. He was in Roger Glover’s “Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper’s Feast” - the one with “Love is All” in it.

In particular, he sang “Waiting” - The single is here.

1 Like

Damn.
Yesterday evening, I had some free time on my hands, and I opened up Netflix, and started watching ‘Aliens’…

I’d ask you, and I’d agree with you. One of the rare sequels that did a fantastic job equally it’s source. I think the key was going in an entirely new direction. Instead of scary “monster in the dark” stuff, they went full on space marines, and totally ruled.

“Game over man, game over!”

I mentioned we lost Sgt. Apone to my wife, expecting her to look at me blankly. Instead, she immediately said “Another glorious day in the corp. Even meal is a banquet, every paycheck a fortune.” God I love that woman.