RIP, Eli Wallach

[Permalink]

1 Like

Was also in How The West Was Won, probably the best Cinerama film made! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=updl0L4Tayc RIP

Tuco: There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting.

Tuco: There are two kinds of spurs, my friend. Those that come in by the door; those that come in by the window.

Blondie: You see, in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

2 Likes

And The Misfits. And Tough Guys!

He was good in Mystic River, too.

I has a sad.

It’s odd how coincidences occur, I was just talking to my film-buff dad about this guy last night. I was pointing out that Tuco was still alive… I guess I was wrong.

seconding Misfits.

the scene in TGTBATU between Tuco and the shopkeeper is probably my favorite scene.

there’s a movie that I’ve noticed was being shown on one of my OTA channels a lot called The Lineup with him as the protag. the film itself appealed to me overall, although there was a lot of old-time hollywood conventions that were annoying. Wallach, however, was a boss. great performance.

a great and underrated actor. if he’d had diCaprio’s looks, he’d have been a household name with a shelf full of Oscars, no doubt.

May God have mercy on his soul.

1 Like

So’s Blondie, kind of. Talking to chairs and whatnot.

1 Like

An amazing actor. I’m gonna need to watch some more of his films. He never fails to bring a huge grin on my face even in just that short clip attached to the post. His voice, I loved his voice and that attitude in his eyes. What a fricken awesome presence.

Just found this gem on Wikipedia:

… Wallach also mentioned that director Sergio Leone was notoriously careless regarding the safety of his actors during dangerous scenes. It was during filming that Wallach accidentally drank from a bottle of acid that a film technician had carelessly placed next to his soda bottle. He spat it out immediately, but was furious because his vocal cords could have been damaged if he had swallowed any of it. Leone gave him some milk to wash out his mouth and apologized for the incident, but also commented that accidents do happen.

I wish I’d known about his autobiography earlier. I’m kicking myself for not keeping up with him. I wonder if one day Benicio del Toro will reprise any of Wallach’s roles?

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, also known as “The Rat”

Farewell, Amigo. Thanks for the films.

Don’t forget his cameo in the terrible “Circle of Iron.”

My favourite actor in 2 of my all-time favourite movies.

They say the good die young. Currently he’s 84.

Ugly managed 98, Bad only 64…

2 Likes

Those three westerns were great movies. And Wallach, along with the soundtrack, are the most memorable pieces.
http://goo.gl/YJRwLg

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.