RIP MoviePass (again)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/14/rip-moviepass-again.html

1 Like

Unsurprising.

5 Likes

On to the next underpants collection scheme, I suppose.

11 Likes

Wow. If I only knew what MoviePass was.

7 Likes

You could see one movie a day for a $10/month subscription fee.
If I was single and in my 20s I would have abused the hell out of that.

6 Likes

I’m sure there’s a business model where the concept works, but not for $9.99 a month. My local chain, Regal, now offers unlimited movies for $23.50 a month ($18 for less expensive areas). We jumped on that fast.

3 Likes

giphy
I’m shocked - shocked! - that they were still in existence. I was pretty sure they had already shut down for good a while back. Though I don’t see how their “pay us a quarter and we’ll give you a dollar” business model could have ever failed…

3 Likes

The first I heard of it was when I started seeing videos mocking the CEO as it was going down in flames, last time.

I can’t find the one I saw back then but this one is just as good.

3 Likes

As it turns out, losing money with no end in sight is NOT a good business model after all Hoocodanode. Somebody MIGHT want to tell Uber that.

3 Likes

Shortly after my wife left me (she married my best friend shortly after…), my brother bought me a six-month subscription to MoviePass. This was back when it was new and $25 a month, and it was a godsend.

I was depressed, but any night I was alone I could go watch a movie for free to distract myself. And if I didn’t like a movie, I could just leave and not worry about wasting money. I went to movies dozens of times in those six months…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.