Rob Ford apparently hired a hacker to nuke the crack-smoking video

No, but they made it happen. They crushed the unions…

Doesn’t seem that odd to me.

If you’re posting video to the gang’s shared cloud storage, then cracking the password of that one guy who just can’t see why “thuglife” isn’t a strong enough password, or the other guy who has all his passwords tattooed on his neck (but it would be socially difficult to exclude them from access to the share) would get access to the file. That being the case, you can manage the risk by encrypting the files themselves under a much stronger passphrase, and sharing that passphrase only on a need-to-know basis.

And I agree, it seems doubtful that would have been the only copy. It could be that the files were there specifically so every gang member could download and store a backup copy, to make very sure they wouldn’t lose access to their blackmail material. From the perspective of the hacker, it doesn’t matter - if Ford will pay for that copy to be deleted, any other copies that might surface later are just potential future contracts.

Make the files read-only / undeletable by any account except your own, and you’ve successfully ensured both availability and confidentiality. Given that the hacker was able to get read access to the file but neither decrypt nor delete it, that sounds about right.

CAVEAT: I say this without any actual familiarity with the cloud storage provider. I have no idea if what I’m describing is technically something you could do under that platform - though it does seem like a fairly basic generic capability.

I have to believe that by this point Toronto has had their fill of House Harkonnen-lite.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.