Rob Ford's exaggerated and imaginary savings to the taxpayers of Toronto

[Permalink]

1 Like

But you really can’t put a price on entertainment.

4 Likes

He’s reduced unemployment among crack dealers and hitmen by a staggering percentage, surely that’s got to count for something.

2 Likes

Please, this is enough. The man is dying on camera.

Ah, but the Schadenford of it all!

4 Likes

It’s doesn’t matter. As far as I can tell his Fnord Nation supporters are complete innumberates who don’t even know how their own tax bills are calculated. I got into a flame war with one dweeb who thought that the fact that tax rates went down meant that Ford saved the difference between the old administration’s tax rate times the old budget.

Since your tax bill in Toronto is tax-rate times market property value the comparison is ridiculous. The real estate market has soared due to speculation during both his and previous administrations so of course the rate went down because the (steadily increasing) budget needed didn’t go up by the same percentage. The only number that matters is the total size of the budget and Ford’s last was 200 million bigger than the old mayor’s last one.

Of course pointing this out just starts them screaming “Marxist!” with spittle spraying out of their mouth without ever addressing the argument. (Apparently the Police Chief, the local right-wing SUN tabloid and several just-to-the-left-of-Genghis-Khan city councillors are also “Marxists”.)

2 Likes

I am just glad to find out that the USA does not have a lock on idiot politicians. Is everyone sure this fellow is not from Texas or something.

Perhaps if he trades in his Escalade for a VW Van and hands out turkeys to the poor, he can restore his image by Christmas.

Rob Ford reminds me in a number of ways of a certain former president. Like W, he was born into a wealthy family. Like W, his father was a successful politician. Like W, he has had substance abuse issues. Like W, he was the candidate that people felt they could have a beer with.

There are some notable differences, though. The Fords were new money, while the Bushes were old. Doug Ford Sr. was a much less prominent politician, never going beyond the provincial legislature. W was not dominated by his elder brother, like Rob is by Doug. Rob Ford does not appear to have the daddy issues that W had. W had his substance abuse issues either under control or out of the public eye during his campaign and presidency (although there are plenty of rumors that W was drinking while he was in office), but Rob Ford clearly doesn’t.

W was not dominated by his elder brother, like Rob is by Doug. Rob Ford does not appear to have the daddy issues that W had.

Actually there is considerable evidence up here that Ford, and his siblings, do indeed have big father issues – they worship his memory, but there are rumours of abuse… Some biographer will have his/her job cut out analyzing this guy, because it is all tied up with his family.

1 Like

The man needs to leave office directly and sort his shit out. The mayor needs to be capable of being taken seriously to be effective. He’s just a lame duck now.

That’s a good point. Ford’s father issues haven’t played out in as obvious a way as W’s did, though. Fortunately Toronto doesn’t have a foreign policy.

2 Likes

The second he stops being mayor of Toronto, I will gladly leave him in peace to recover or whatever he chooses to do. But as long as he is mayor, this deserves all the coverage he’s getting. This is not just Rob Ford’s problem - Rob Ford is all of Toronto’s problem

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.