Rod Serling on censorship and where it really comes from

[Read the post]

2 Likes

From this and similar interviews with him I was always struck on how erudite Serling was ā€“ and how the various social critiques that were presented in the Twilight Zone werenā€™t just accidental asides from the monsters and cursed items.

12 Likes

Coincidentally, I just watched ā€œSubmitted For Your Approvalā€, the Rod Serling documentary this past week. The irony here is that the format of ā€œThe Twilight Zoneā€ was created as a way to get around censorship. If social commentary was disguised as tales about aliens and monsters then it was easier to get past execs and sponsors; we might not have ā€œThe Twilight Zoneā€ if not for Serling having to find a way to work around them.

11 Likes

7 Likes

He has a good point, but I donā€™t think the whole audience facilitates censorship. Itā€™s an arena where the most fearful and prudish person wins. As soon as somebody mentions The Children, the rest are forced to shut up.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pure self-censorship. Very rarely is anybody actually ā€œforcedā€ to do anything.

How I think this works is that all communication involves risks, many of which people take for granted. So when somebodyā€™s ideology brushes against their usual way of living, they often complain that they canā€™t freely do something. This is because people often internalize the expectations of others. The risks were present before, only that they were not consciously evaluated.

Itā€™s not that you can no longer do/say that thing, itā€™s that you canā€™t do so without a risk to yourself. But it may have been naive to assume that those risks were not always present.

4 Likes

Phenomenal, and to double-up on @jhbadgerā€™s thought, Sterling had erudition in spades. My Dad introduced The Twilight Zone to me and Iā€™m forever grateful for it.

ā€œCarol for Another Christmasā€:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhQri14A0LU

4 Likes

The relationship with children, censorship and South Park is notable.

And as a result of the influx of mail, many of the cards, incidentally as Sheldon tells it, were postmarked at identical moments all in the same handwriting, but each was counted as a singular piece of mail. And as a result, the directive went down that there would be no shows having anything to do with puppies, that is in the actual birth process.

Wow, DDoS via snailmail.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.