Roger Stone had contact with Wikileaks' Julian Assange in 2016: WaPo

I am sorry to inform you that the world really is that stupid.

(Just a joke; i have no actual insight! Thanks for the tidbit.)

As uncomfortable as it is to acknowledge it, I misjudged Assange. I supported the Wikileaks release of the war tapes, and I thought that having an alternative site to allow whistleblowers to release info that had no other way to enter the mainstream was a fantastic resource. Sadly, Assange proved to be an egomaniac who used the platform for self-promotion, and selective political influence. It is a lost opportunity.

7 Likes

The smearing of Assange and Wikileaks by those who should be his natural allies has been the most amazing thing to watch. Here’s a guy who sacrificed everything to expose the secrets of the powerful – from American war crimes to the misdeeds of governments and corporations worldwide, who supported Chelsea Manning from the very beginning, who helped Edward Snowden escape the U.S. black-site prison state.

He is being slow-motion assassinated by the U.S., Britain and Sweden while the world watches and convinces itself he of all people deserves it. Brainwashed NPR/Amazon Post pseudo-progressives have decided he’s a Russian troll, an egomaniac, a shill for Trump… Funny, the Assange/Wikileaks hate used to be the province of the far-right. When you are adversarial to all systems of unjust power you will acquire enemies on all sides.

“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist.”
― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

The Deep State is very effective at getting the opposition to turn against one another.This long, detailed accounting might clarify a few things: https://contraspin.co.nz/beingjulianassange/

1 Like

The move of Mike Pompeo to Secretary of State isn’t going to help him. From April 21, 2017:

Last week, CIA chief Mike Pompeo blasted WikiLeaks as a “hostile intelligence service,” in a stark reversal from his previous praise for the group. Pompeo made the remarks last week at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in his first public address as CIA director. Pompeo went on to accuse WikiLeaks of instructing Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning to steal information. He also likened Julian Assange to a “demon” and suggested Assange is not protected under the First Amendment.

1 Like

People don’t just avoid double-crossing the mob because they’re afraid the mob will take their fancy car away. They avoid double-crossing the mob because they’re afraid the mob will put a bomb in it.

5 Likes

…in the service of criminals who were even MORE rich and corrupt and powerful.

2 Likes

I don’t find it the least bit fishy. Assange has over the years left a long trail of alienated supporters. Seems more likely Daniel was yet another idealist turned off by Assange’s narcissism. Read the observations of Assange’s ghost writer and you’ll see it’s absolutely no exaggeration when people call him a narcissist. If Assange’s supposed to be a hero then he is an extremely flawed one.

1 Like

But what was released was weak stuff. Among 20,000 pages of e-mails this was the worst people could find:

You might have gained the impression it was much worse because Republicans always blow stuff out of all proportion and the media obsesses over everything Clinton, but it was not much in the end.

2 Likes

“If you’re not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
― Malcolm X

Among other things, the emails showed clearly that the DNC colluded with both the media and the Clinton campaign to suppress Bernie Sanders. In other words, they denied real choice to Democrat (and many other) voters, who likely would have chosen Sanders in a fair and equal head-to-head.

That exposure of that level of establishment sleaze certainly led many voters to decide they preferred the “outsider” Trump, no matter how extraordinarily flawed, to the corrupt, business-as-usual insider Clinton. Transparency may have unintended consequences but that doesn’t mean we’re not better off knowing the truth.

Which category do you think Trump and Putin belong in?

3 Likes

Distractions

Right. No reason to pay attention to the brutal, corrupt oligarchs Assange is actually working to put in power. That would just be a distraction from Hillary’s emails.

3 Likes

No reason to pay attention to the brutal, corrupt oligarchs Assange is actually working to put in power.

That you apparently believe this lie demonstrates the power of the global smear campaign against Wikileaks. Wikileaks and Assange have brought more transparency to oligarchs and unjust systems of power than any other journalistic organization in recent memory. The fact that one of his corrupt targets was running against Donald Trump doesn’t mean Assange supported Trump, or had anything to do with supporting Putin.

A relevant quick excerpt from this:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.