Rogue One is a movie about internet freedom

One piece of tech that Star Wars has managed to sidestep completely:there are (almost) no pressure suits to be seen at all. I guess that galaxy far away just never needed them.

2 Likes

Yeah they miss a lot of stuff which would apply in a more realistic space opera. Planets with high or low gravity, short or long days. Marginal atmospheres. The scene at the start of episode 4 with the two suns in the sky of Tatooine is one of the more realistic scenes in the series.

And why would you walk out into a cave in an asteroid (or the body of a space monster) wearing only an oxygen mask?

3 Likes

The tie pilots appear to be wearing pressure suits in the originals.

And breathing masks make several appearances. Space/pressure suits make a bunch of appearances outside the main films as well.

You don’t really need pressure suits if you aren’t doing space walks or traveling places without atmosphere.

1 Like

But consider the number of times the falcon has been shot up by various empire vehicles and Han never seems to worry about losing his atmosphere, despite having to put out fires, etc.

2 Likes

Or planets that actually have more than one ecosystem. No, it is all “this planet is desert, that planet is snow and ice, that planet is a swamp” etc.

3 Likes

So Krull with blasters…

1 Like

I’m not saying its perfectly sensible. Just that pressure suits do exist in Star Wars. We just don’t see them that often because most of the people we’re watching don’t seem to feel the need to use them.

1 Like

I’m sorry. But. Um. The empire is a totalitarian regime. Sure. But it’s a sovereign entity. And it has the right to not broadcast its military secrets.
The rebellion. No matter how noble their pursuits is a small militaristic group who steals said military secrets and openly broadcasts them.

Which At last check makes them anonymous or perhaps Wikileaks?. And the film would be about hacking a conglomerate not freedom of internet.

1 Like

Lets not boost Julian’s ego any more than absolutely necessary.

2 Likes

Julian here. I heard you said I’m Luke Skywalker? What? No? Well, that’s what I heard. Hey everyone, I’m Luke Skywalker!

1 Like

The same reason that almost all film space or diving suits feature a spotlight on the actor’s face. So the acting can be better seen, even if it would blind you in actual practice.

3 Likes

Obi Wan Snowden

2 Likes

The tapes were copied on Earth, by a woman with terminal cancer. You know that the copyright cops are going to spare no expense going after her.

2 Likes

Transparent screens are the worst.

3 Likes

Generations of space travellers paranoid about losing their atmosphere have resulted in robust, over-engineered life support systems, so that those of Solo’s generation don’t worry about such things, especially when he’s got more urgent things to think about.

Besides, they have force-fields to keep the air in. If the life support gets shot out, and the hull is holed, and there’s no power for the force-field, then Solo will start worrying about the air.

1 Like

One of the things I like in Star Wars is the way that different planets have different technology levels, much like countries on Earth.

Tron dates back to 1982, Arpanet to 1969. The net is older than most people think, and older than most people alive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.