Rollerman tests his latest rollerblade suit on mountain course

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/17/rollerman-tests-his-latest-rollerblade-suit-on-mountain-course.html

3 Likes

“Yawn”
— Winter Olympic Skeleton athletes

4 Likes

so…head-first luge? crazy

should be called egul

5 Likes

Basically, yes, though the sled runners and race starting format are different. Interestingly, Skeleton is both slower and safer than Luge, contrary to intuition on both. Luge averages around 90mph to Skeleton’s 80, party due to different runner design, and partly due to the body being more aerodynamic feet-first. Skeleton is a crowd pleaser though, because it looks so dangerous and because of the running start.

Both sports are vastly more dangerous and exciting than Guy Lying On Skateboard Wheels, dramatic music not withstanding.

5 Likes

Roller man? Because he roller can!

5 Likes

Reminds me of a childhood spent on a flexible flyer. Sometimes on icy hills, sometimes on icy roads. It was safe from cars, because when it got icy enough, they had to drive very slowly.

1 Like

Is this the future of motorcycle safety suits?

1 Like

Yo dawg, I heard you like roller-skates…

4 Likes

I can see rollerblade suits growing into a fetish subculture.

3 Likes

I am kind of astounded at the contrast between how exhilarating this must be for Mr. Roller and how unexciting it is to watch.

14 Likes

A bit like community theater that way…

5 Likes

Love this cat.

I just assumed that he closed off the road from oncoming traffic-- but apparently he does not? He was cutting turns and veering way into oncoming lanes. How does that work if there is actually traffic?

2 Likes

This was far more exciting and dramatic at 1.5x, and even more so at 2x playback speed! It was kind of a buzzkill when he stopped for a chat with the guy on the bike.

1 Like

Needs more cowbell (wheels).

Wheels? He wants some edges like an ekranoplan, so he can float on the ground effect.

1 Like

Humans are nutz. Love it.

I would have thought he would adopt the classic ‘Superman’ posture, arms in front, and used them more to keep his head upright. Otherwise you end up with a semi permanent crick in your neck.

Reminded me of “The Wheelers” from Return to Oz.

wheelers

6 Likes

Just another example of why I repressed my memories of that movie!

4 Likes