Rome and the Catholic Church fighting over change tossed into the Trevi Fountain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/14/rome-and-the-catholic-church-f.html

4 Likes

Late stage capitalism in a nutshell: cash-strapped charities and municipalities reduced to squabbling over literal loose change while corporations and billionaires go essentially untaxed.

39 Likes

Most of my dispensable coins get tossed at the local gin mill.

10 Likes

Don’t tell us what you wished or it won’t come true!

13 Likes

The Pope: Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn’t come true. So I’m takin’ it back. I’m takin’ 'em all back.

3 Likes

23 Likes

Aaaah, Devil’s post!!

Screenshot_20190114-221515_Samsung%20Internet

11 Likes

Wait, I think I’ve heard this one before. Is the punchline “…we throw all the money up in the air and what He wants, He keeps!”

8 Likes

Was it this one?

http://www.ksdk.com/article/news/nation-now/rare-1943-bronze-lincoln-penny-sells-for-204000/63-501f2c6a-4a91-43fb-9bf0-6c2af88b2a8b

OR this one?

4 Likes

I think the city has a better claim, but tradition is a bitch.

4 Likes

Not precisely how I’d characterise the catholic church…

17 Likes

To increase your odds, toss in Thoughts & Prayers instead.

5 Likes

Wow, geez. That’s 25% of Caritas’ total revenue, according to Charity Navigator.

On the other hand, I’m not in favor of denying a cash-strapped municipality its revenue, either. And Rome’s infrastructure bears the brunt of the tourist tsunami filling that fountain with coins.

The Catholic Church could cover Caritas’ revenue shortfall without batting an eye.

9 Likes

Would really not be surprised if One Eyed Willie’s treasure existed in a sealed Vatican vault.

3 Likes

That much money in small change, wonder how large the pile of coins is if you put it all in one place.

2 Likes

I lack the skills to add a papal mitre on Scrooge McDuck :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

It’s not the Vatican that’s taking the money, it’s Caritas. If the situation in Italy is anything like that in the US, Caritas’s budget is 1-2% of the budget of the Church as a whole. And less than 0.1% came from the Catholic Church itself, the rest coming from donations directly to Caritas.

ETA: and I would put the Vatican in the category of wealthy multinational corporations that evade paying any taxes.

ETA2: Arrgh, fixed second link to point to original source. The link I posted mixed up the US catholic church with the worldwide catholic church and deserves no attention.

1 Like

Wrong Caritas. Not sure of the operating budget of Caritas Italiana, but it’s probably somewhere on the second link if you can read Italian.

1 Like

If people toss their coins with the expectation that the proceeds will go to the poor and they instead go to infrastructure, I’m not sure the city has the moral high ground, though I take your meaning that the fountain belongs to the city.

2 Likes

City councillors have approved the change

ICWYDT

2 Likes