Royal Mail issues Discworld stamps

Originally published at: Royal Mail issues Discworld stamps | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Need someone to get me a batch of those stamps so I can get 'em suitably framed…

6 Likes

Crivvens! May just have to brush the dust off the ol’ philately in that case.

3 Likes

14 Likes

Back in 2011 or so they had a Wizard set that included 2 Discworld people, Rincewind and either Granny or Nanny. Amusingly, you got Rincewind right next to Dumbledore. I mean really, only one of these took on the dark dimensions with half a brick in a sock, so we know who’s the best.

9 Likes

'bout damn time.
We need some of these too (USian me.)

1 Like

“I never could get into traditional hobbies, like religion or stamp collecting. I mean, the way you collect stamps is: Every week or so the Postal Service dreams up a new stamp to mark National Peat Bog Awareness Month, or whatever, and you rush down and clog the Post Office lines to buy a batch of these stamps, but instead of putting them to a useful purpose such as mailing toxic spiders to the Publisher’s Clearing House, you take them home and just sort of have them. Am I right? And then the biggest thrill, as I understand it, the real payoff, comes when you get lucky and collect a stamp on which the Postal Service has made a mistake, such as instead of “Peat Bog” it prints “Beat Pog,” which causes stamp collectors to just about wet their polyester pants.”

DAVE BARRY

14 Likes

That sounds like something Sir Terry would have come up with.

7 Likes

So… what’s wrong with stamp collecting, exactly? I mean, I get the Dave Barry is the height of cool edginess and all, but I suppose I’m curious why he felt the need to dump on other people’s hobbies? Did you know that John Lewis as an avid stamp collector, and most likely would have been over the moon when they issued his new stamp recently?

Well, as long as he didn’t collect a stamp about it, it’s cool, I suppose… Also, I bet a stamp about peat bogs would be pretty neat. I wonder if there would be intense competition like there is over making duck stamps:

5 Likes

…it took me a moment to realize that these stamps have Charles’ silhouette on them.

Well, it is the “royal” mail, so…

2 Likes

Paul Kidby’s work is super technically refined, and often uncannily looks like how I pictured the characters, but I’d love some stamps that used the unhinged, wild and wooly cover art of Josh Kirby.

12 Likes

Dave Barry’s entire schtick is/was yucking on other peoples yum.

ditto. I always preferred the look of Josh Kirby’s art over Paul Kidby

I’m sure this makes me a heretic in some Discworld fandom holy war

3 Likes

Fun fact: the Royal Mail is the one postal system that doesn’t have to put the country’s name on its stamps. Because the UK was the first to use stamps, the monarch’s portrait is good enough.

But still, it surprised me to see that Liz has gven way to Chuck.

5 Likes

Yes, she’s still dead.

6 Likes

Anyway…
Dear Royal Mail,

stamp or GTFO.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Μoist. Μoist. Μoist.

6 Likes

Top row, 2nd from left.

2 Likes

The Royal Mail sells them direct, you can pre-order here:

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/terry-pratchetts-discworld?iid=SC0723_TPD_HP_01

2 Likes

Most stamps are moist on the back.

7 Likes