Rube Goldbergian clocks for your walls and mantlepieces

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/10/hanging-chain-horology.html

1 Like

Very inappropriate to relate these to Rube.

1 Like

They may not fit what we traditionally imagine as a Rube Goldberg machine, but the essence of the concept is just a simple task turned into a Needlessly Complex process

3 Likes

House cats will seriously mess with these things… bless their little hearts.

2 Likes

So glad to see these available again! I have one of his clocks (the one pictured by the wine bottle in the article) from about a decade ago, and it’s always been a conversation starter. The motor blew up about 3 years ago (got very hot and started making funny noises), but it’s just the same motor that turns over the pellets in a water softener, one rotation per hour on regular 110V AC power, so I was able to replace it very easily and cheaply. Provided you have good AC power, these clocks keep fantastic time!

1 Like

So “Seussian” clocks?

3 Likes

That’s not even a clock…

You are quite astute!

I was merely providing a visual example of an overly complicated Seussian contraption.

2 Likes

In that case, an excellent example!

@R.Birks

I never thought I’d ever see Seussian versus Goldbergian come anywhere near to being a source of – shall I say – controversy. (??) The de-escalation was nicely handled, though.

Hello @hecep and WELCOME TO THE INTERNET!

:wink:

Oh, I’ve been here awhile… but sometimes BB throws up… singular surprises.

:wink:

This is though.

2 Likes

Isn’t there some Mr. Bean episode where there is some weird rube Goldbergian contraption to wake him up? Wallace and Grommett too, if I’m remembering correctly?

I need this

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.