Rube Goldberg musical instrument that runs on 2,000 steel ball-bearings

[Read the post]

9 Likes

It’s my Birthday, can I have one, PLEASE!

5 Likes

if only all barrel organs would look and sound like this

1 Like

At first I was annoyed at the mechanical disadvantage he put himself in by making the crank such a small wheel, and then once the drums kicked in I realized he was using it to keep time (the beat always hits when the handle is at the bottom of the circle, so it’s literally a downbeat), and that’s pretty badass.

14 Likes

Is it, strictly speaking, a “Rube Goldberg” machine if some part of it isn’t dependent on a chicken laying an egg?

8 Likes

Or a candle burning a rope. . .

5 Likes

Nice use of legos in the programming… Brilliant work!

3 Likes

Reminds me of this - I am in awe that someone has done it in the real world:

(the ATI executable runs just fine on my Surface, got to love the “requires 256MB of system RAM and DirectX 9” message!)

6 Likes

5 Likes

Best pachinko machine ever.

5 Likes

Reminds me more of Dr. Seuss than Rube Goldberg.

3 Likes

Wow, that machine is hella cool. Now I am giving their 2013 album a listen. Sounds a bit like Sigur Ros crossed with FM Belfast. Very nice.

Totally neat. I wondered about all the clunking sounds at first, but it turned out to fit beautifully as percussion. I clicked through some of the suggested videos and got a live session. One or two of the pieces use a typewriter as percussion – shades of Leroy Anderson.

2 Likes

This was in the suggestions:

1 Like

2 Likes

Happy birthday.

4 Likes

Are we sure this isn’t some sort of guerrilla marketing from Verizon?

2 Likes

This machine has a BREAKDOWN lever.

Imma need one of those.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.