Ruined jeans yours for $2500

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/08/ruined-jeans-yours-for-2500.html

6 Likes

I’m wearing ruined jeans, right now!

15 Likes

Zoolander GIF by Kitpak

ben stiller comedy GIF by Zoolander No. 2

16 Likes

Came here for Derelicte, leaving satisfied.

5 Likes

I’m announcing my new “Touching Cloth” and “Follow Through” ranges of pre-befouled party wear.

2 Likes

Still waiting for runed jeans.

5 Likes

It always amuses me when we get to a new tier in destroy jeans sales. First it was stonewashed to look more like used, then slight abrasions, then tears, then knees fully gone, then really badly shredded, now we’re at shredded and dirty.

Which is almost identical to the average pair of jeans worn by your average farm worker.

4 Likes

That seems like stuff that gets rejected from clothing bins/thrift stores. Economy of scale probably doesn’t make it worthwhile to sort through bales before they become garbage in Africa, and those won’t come with a designer tag.

3 Likes

Hmm. So now a forgery is worth a lot more than the original.

I wonder if I brought my old jeans to a consignment store, and claimed they were Balenciaga, could I get a couple of thousand dollars for them? And if I included a forged Balenciaga receipt, that should make them worth even more, right? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I’d be happy to sell them a pair of authentic worn out jeans. If they’re willing to pay $2.5K for fake, surely they’ll pay $5K for the real thing.

Right?

4 Likes

It’s not just fashion.

6 Likes

Déjà vu (Reboing) @beschizza

4 Likes

At least with the Strat, a real one will still cost more than the fake copies (a similar looking real Strat from 1954 would be $25K+), though people do pay more for new relic guitars than they do for brand new looking ones.

3 Likes

I’ve offered “Blacksmith Jeans,” where I wear the pants as an apron in the shop for a few hours. Guaranteed forge burns, weld spatter pinholes, uncleanable grease and chemical stains, acid fraying, and grinder bites. So far, no takers.

5 Likes

I mean, shabby sheek and distressed looks on everything from clothing to cars has long been a thing. These pants aren’t $2500 for being ruined, they are $2500 because they are Belenciaga (which, BTW, for a company founded in 1919, I only became aware of them <5 years ago).

You can find cheaper brands doing similar things, or obviously take the time to do it yourself.

I remember in HS in the 90s that ripped jeans first became popular (that I was aware of). Hey, remember Acid wash? Crazy times.

5 Likes

:notes:“Some kind of fashion (shattered)
Laughter, joy, and loneliness and sex and sex and sex and sex
Look at me I’m in tatters”

• The Rolling Stones’ Shattered
1 Like

I only learned of Balenciaga from the Youtube memes

But, then, I am astronomically distant from being their target audience.

4 Likes

I had jeans like that. Back when I was a teenager, and spent my summers clearing brush and chopping wood. $2,500 is more than I got for the whole summer’s work.

3 Likes

I have to admit, even hating AI, some of those are interesting.

I had heard of them a little bit before that. From like the Kanye col-lab, the accusations of them being devil worshipers (stupid), sexualizing children (definitely questionable content), and an ad campaign that included printed documents from a Supreme Court case on CP (true, really crazy given the criticism of the other photo shoot, and sparked a lawsuit against the production company and set designer).

They seem so divorced from reality in their Fashion Ivory Tower, I look on with a sort of morbid curiosity.

3 Likes

Seems cheap compared to these

2 Likes