Running as little as 30 minutes a week reduces your risk of early death

[Permalink]

groovy.

now someone figure out how to cure plantar fasciitis

1 Like

Too bad running is the dullest exercise on the planet.

Bikes, weights, or a sport… that’s how you make exertion fun.

Meanwhile, walking is pretty much as good as running. Some studies suggest it’s exactly as good, others suggest you get about 80% of the benefits of running. You have to walk for longer to expend as much energy, but it’s generally a more pleasant experience.

3 Likes

I ride my exercycle while watching tv. The speedometer goes to “7” (I’m not sure why) and I hold it around “6” for intervals of varying length.

That’s the other recent report, that running short intense intervals with long recovery periods is nearly as effective as a long painful grind.

1 Like

I am going to assume this implies biking is good too?

Not necessarily, although some running practices may negate the “living longer” benefit.

1 Like

I think we can assume this includes bikes and probably swimming laps. Also I have always found jumping rope and various punching bags to be 5% to 10% more intense than cycling.

Weights more fun than running?

Not in this universe.

2 Likes

running 30 minutes a week reduce my chances of actually being able to walk due to a duff knee, I think I will stick to walking the dog over an hour each day

1 Like

“Compared with nonrunners, runners had… lower adjusted risks of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality”
“This study may motivate healthy but sedentary individuals to begin and continue running for substantial and attainable mortality benefits.”

Does the study even test whether non-runners who begin running will reduce their mortality rate relative to non-runners who remain non-runners? I get they corrected for a lot of confounding variables in the longitudinal observational data presented, and I believe whole-heartedly that Exercise Is Good For You, but still, that bothers me.

1 Like

Yea, in this neighborhood, running as little as 30 minutes a week can increase your risk of early death.

1 Like

Exactly my reservation as well…
Even with the corrections, it seems more like a “people who are capable of running for 30 minutes will likely live longer” study.

Well it’s 55,000 people, so it seems like one of those cohort studies where there are many correlations, but then you get down to the 4,000 deaths and it’s no longer that big a study after all.

Although they say this:

COMPETENCY IN MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE: Leisure-time running, even at low intensity or pace, reduces all-cause and cardiovascular mortality independently of sex, age, body mass index, health behavior, and medical conditions. Reduction in mortality is related to continued running activity over time, and running is as important as such other prognostic variables like smoking, obesity, or hypertension.

But really to address your point this should be done with nonrunners who start running compared to nonrunners in a case/control study where the benefits can actually be measured using end points other than death. And then you can do a Students t test rather than a correlation coefficient (am I right?).

They were talking about this small study on the morning news today: Exercise Not Just For The Youth; Short High-Intensity Workouts Can ‘Transform Health’ Of The Elderly

For the study, a group of 12 elderly individuals were asked to come into the lab twice a week for six weeks and go all out on an exercise bike for six seconds. Once the individuals' hearts were conditioned to the intense exercise, the time period was increased to one minute. Researcher Dr. John Babraj commented that the elderly “were not exceptionally fast, but for someone of that age they were.” By the end of the six weeks, the blood pressure of the participants was found to have reduced by nine percent. Along with a reduced blood pressure, the participants found that everyday activities such as walking around or even simply getting out a chair were made easier. According to Babraj, these findings may suggest an alternative for older people who struggle to exercise, since it can be done in such a short amount of time.

That sounds like as little as two minutes a week can potentially reduce blood pressure.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.