Russia crashes lunar lander

Originally published at: Russia crashes lunar lander | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Bet it wasn’t due to a confusion of metric/imperial measurement units.

14 Likes

11 Likes

It fell out of a window.

22 Likes

According to a preliminary analysis, the craft entered an uncontrolled orbit and ceased to exist

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy hhgttg alan rickman GIF - Find on GIFER

15 Likes

They used it to smash all those nazis that are definitely there on the moon, just like they always definitely said they would. Everything is going according to plan. Definitely.

10 Likes

Crash? Which crash? It was a special moon landing operation

21 Likes

I’ve seen some space geeks make the point that, in a way, this was really Russia’s first attemped moon mission, considering that in all the prior missions it was the Soviet Union, with Ukrainian scientists playing a central role.

24 Likes

9 Likes

“Where was Dr. Ivanovich? He was supposed to be conducting the landing.”

Meanwhile, in a trench somewhere in Ukraine…

15 Likes

(And here I was going to go with, “I said LUNCH, not LAUNCH!”)

9 Likes

10 Likes

Russia appears to have a problem with boundaries.

Apparently the crash featured well down the schedule on television news in Russia - below an item on new aircraft crew rest areas.

7 Likes

I wonder if this is more evidence of the rot and corruption in Russia’s various government agencies.

8 Likes

Well part of me is enjoying the further tarnishing of Russia’s reputation and credibility, I am saddened we won’t have any new data about the moon had it been successful.

14 Likes

In a way, it is. Part of the problem is that Roskosmos tried to go it alone, meaning they had no communication with the craft when Russia was not facing the moon. They reportedly turned down offers of help from NASA and ESA and so on.

14 Likes

I hope you’ve seen “Iron Sky” (2012).

8 Likes

We do have more evidence to support Heinlein’s theory about the Moon being a harsh mistress.

15 Likes

What is Russian for “a rapid unscheduled disassembly”?

6 Likes

I have not, but it’s been on my documentary watch-list for a while now.

2 Likes