Russia moots ban on discussions about VPNs, reverse proxies, and other anti-censorship techniques

[Read the post]

1 Like

In the best tradition of post-liberal societies, they will be managed and enforced arbitrarily, as political conditions merit.

13 Likes

ā€œreverse proxiesā€

In computer networks, a reverse proxy is a type of proxy server that retrieves resources on behalf of a client from one or more servers. These resources are then returned to the client as though they originated from the proxy server itself.

Just incase you didnā€™t know.

7 Likes

Noting that [circumvention tools] have legitimate usesā€¦

Such as accessing data the government doesnā€™t want you to access? I donā€™t suppose free speech is legitimate in Russia, but it still is in many places.

2 Likes

ā€œmoots banā€ what use such an odd word, does the writer think it makes them cleverererere

1 Like

Why does the speaker use such odd words? Does the speaker think it makes himself sound scatological?

3 Likes

Do they think e.g. Reddit would cooperate and give the Russian ā€œauthoritiesā€ the IPs of the ones who discuss this stuff? Would BB do so?

Will russia ever get itā€™s shit together? Theyā€™re like that addicted, abusive family you hear screaming or playing very loud music from way, way down the street;
every Saturday night thereā€™s cop cars parked on their lawn, flashing lightsā€¦but nothing ever gets sorted.

Often times, a break up is a better medicine than apathy.

It certainly looks to me like the author was going for the concept of ā€œmutingā€ discussion (via the censorwall and government actions to reduce discussion of censorship). Itā€™s great that someone understands that mute and moot are two different words, but letā€™s try to take it one more step and understand the definitions and use cases. In the context of moot as a verb in this case, it seems that the use is closer to antithetical to the authorā€™s intent than supportive of it. Itā€™s sad that editors have gone the way of the dodo in online media.

[quote=ā€œtwoblades, post:9, topic:75278ā€]
Itā€™s great that someone understands that mute and moot are two different words, but letā€™s try to take it one more step and understand the definitions and use cases.[/quote]

The ban is what is being mooted. Thereā€™s no reason ā€œmuteā€ would make any sense in that spot, it would only make sense later in the sentence: Russia moots a ban which would mute discussion about VPNs, etc.

Letā€™s understand the definitions, indeed:
Moot (verb): to present or introduce (any point, subject, project, etc.) for discussion.

9 Likes

Reading the headline the gist of ā€˜mootā€™ I got was that the Russians had put forward the idea of a ban, which is what the article is about, donā€™t read anything confusing about the headline compared to the article.

Mebbe itā€™s just down to my playing White Wolfā€™s Werewolf: The Apocalypse where the term is used for meetings of werewolfs so thereā€™s no confusion AFAIC.

As usual the ban itself is going to penalise the law abiding but hey-ho

1 Like

Man, I havenā€™t heard anything about that game in -years-
ā€¦do people still play? I always heard it was less edgy than other white wolf stuff, and more to do with developing neat stories.

1 Like

Letā€™s compare!

2 Likes

I believe the folks teaching sentence comprehension left before the editors.

3 Likes

apparently moots in this context means considers, or not.

This is the kind of shit Theresa Mayā€™s deranged fantasies are about. The Home Office Mad Cat Lady would love to pull this off.

4 Likes

In my experience (over 15 years ago) it was definitely structured to encourage more constructive group play with the pack dynamic rather than the thin veneer of pleasantness & co-operation of ā€˜coteriesā€™ in Vampire: The Masquerade barely concealing sociopathy, the interminable philosophy & semantics debates of Mage: The Ascension, the venomous argument waiting to happen that was the Wraith: The Oblivion Shadows rule component or the pointless but pretty head-scratcher Changeling: The Dreaming.

Havenā€™t played it in 15 years personally, but I figure people still do - Iā€™m currently playing in a Shadowrun 3rd ed (1998) game because thereā€™s no need to fork out the cash to move to 4th or 5th ed - thereā€™s no hardware obsolescence or compatibility issues, the worst case scenario is the book falls apart, but then thereā€™s always PDFsā€¦

1 Like

But if they want to illegalise discussions about how to get round your stateā€™s obstacles to discussions about your stateā€™s censorship system, wonā€™t they also have to illegalise discussions about how to get around your stateā€™s obstacles to discussions about how to get round your stateā€™s obstacles to discussions about your stateā€™s censorship system?

1 Like

ā€œapparentlyā€

In a world where Tolkeinā€™s ā€œentmootā€ was part of the top 2002 worldwide box officeā€¦

Kids today and their inability to pick up/google a dictionaryā€¦

(on the other hand) I once knew someone who insisted that Tolkeinā€™s stories were originally written in Old English. So much facepalmingā€¦

2 Likes

Comparing mad cat ladies to Theresa May is an insult to all mad cat ladies.

Maybe we should call all paranoid authoritarians Home Secretaries instead.

4 Likes