Sadiq Khan elected London mayor, first Muslim mayor of major Western capital city

Rotterdam isn’t the largest city in the Netherlands, it’s second after Amsterdam (Rotterdam has 630,000 people to Amsterdam’s 840,000). On the other hand, they are both part of the Randstad megacity/conurbation.

Also, Mr. Aboutaleb, like all Dutch mayors, wasn’t elected (they’re appointed), making London AFAIK the first major Western European city to elect a Muslim mayor.

Only if you also count (probably) every other elected mayor of Ankara from 1952 on (so the four from 1963-1980, and the four from 1984 to today).

1 Like

I had no intention to denigrate London in any way. I made it clear that I was speaking of hearsay so I’m happy to get a different opinion from folks here as well.

1 Like

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I corrected it. Second largest city. However, didn’t suggest anywhere that Aboutaleb was elected.

(Also, your name is spelled incorrectly. It should be ‘AlexG58’.)

It was so much better when I first read it as “Chaka Khan elected London mayor…”

6 Likes

Thanks, the last two weeks of campaigning were really vile and divisive so feeling rather precious about London atm, important not to start the rumour machine.

2 Likes

Uniqueusername - Calgary’s metro area is calculated in a different manner to Edmonton’s and includes more outlying areas, in reality, Calgary and Edmonton, are about the same size +/- ~60,000 people.

Calgary does have most of the western head offices for various banks, and head offices for oil companies, so they’re the economic capitol while Edmonton is the political one.

as major Western Capitals? Qualifiers often disqualify other things. Adjectives can be so unkind.

1 Like

You should hear what some Americans think of calm, working class black neighborhoods.

2 Likes

Yeah, but our (Calgary’s) mayor is the first gay Muslim mayor. I mean he’s not officially out…
; )
And he’s the best mayor we’ve had in a long time (minus the odd foot-in-mouth scenarios he’s let his tongue get himself into).

Another brick from the wall of Neoliberalism.

Enough bricks, and it’ll be torn down. Soon…

1 Like

How does this election address neoliberalism?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.