Salmon cannon video enhanced with Mario soundtrack

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/12/salmon-cannon-video-enhanced-w.html

2 Likes

My dad did something similar to this in a more low tech way in I think the late 60s. He was in some secluded spot in Alaska and built a ladder system to help get fish from this one spot in the river to another. At times he’d have to use seine nets and other methods to trap and move schools of them along. I am fuzzy on the details, but it was a lot of work to help move thousands of fish.

4 Likes

An E-ticket ride, for sure!

4 Likes

Salmon cannon

That was a buddy of mine’s nickname in the military. Don’t ask, you don’t wanna know…

6 Likes

This thing is enjoying quite the resurgence around the Internet today despite being five years old.

I guess it might be due to this story from last month? (At least it’s not an idea that withered years ago like the Switl.)

Unfortunately, it reminds me mostly of Junji Ito’s “The Enigma of Aragami Fault”, which I am not going to link to today.

4 Likes

So happy to see the salmon cannon trending again.

7 Likes

It’s funny to see the progression of Whooshh Innovations fish tube videos from rather boring engineering scripts to rather boring engineer scripts dubbed with music, to less boring engineer scripts dubbed with rock music to this, no boring engineer scripts dubbed with Mario soundtrack.

Nice. :+1:

Something, something Whooshh Tube…

2 Likes

Thank you. That was the proper way to Monday.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that the sc’win liked these, but then they’ve long had problems ever since the Grand Coulee Dam went up.

A lot of effort is put into getting sc’win back up the Columbia. In BC schools have been involved with the fry, and in June the Okanagan Nation Alliance has a big ceremony to send them on thei way. “Cause to come back” said the poster last year, I get the feeling it’s deliberately ambiguous, and means bringing traditiona and more back besides the sc’win.

And then in September there is the big Salmon Feast and Festival, to welcome the sc’win back.

1 Like

Contrary to the soundtrack, that looks pretty traumatic for the salmon.

1 Like

Sounds fishy to me.

4 Likes

Sounds fishy to me.

1 Like

Bear in mind that those are dead salmon swimming. They’re going to get up to their spawning grounds, spawn, and then keel over. It’s how they make sure there are nutrients present way the heck up in the mountains, thus ensuring there will be an ecosystem for their fry to join when they hatch. (This is one reason why ecologists are always going on about maintaining and restoring salmon fisheries; they’re a keystone species.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon#Life_cycle

8 Likes

A lesser known Sean Penn role.

6 Likes

Fish ladders are a thing, and the wiki actually touches on why nets were needed in some cases:

1 Like

I was disappointed that they didn’t use the best possible and seemingly most obvious Mario sound for the clip:

1 Like

Salmon Pez Dispenser

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.