A nerve-wracking climb down the world's worst ladder design

Originally published at: A nerve-wracking climb down the world's worst ladder design - Boing Boing

12 Likes

Our instruments have detected previously unseen levels of “Nope” at this location, sir.

26 Likes

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

15 Likes

Things like this always remind me that an occasional visit to Fred Dibnah territory is always worthwhile.

ETA swapped one of the vides above as it seems to have changes to a different one - I think I posted a watchlist link, not the actual link to the video I wanted.

21 Likes

20 Likes

Issues with heights. Not even gonna watch that for fear of hurling. Not just nope but OH HELL NOPE!

12 Likes

Sometimes it seems that designing access to the pinnacle is an afterthought as compared to the pinnacle itself …?

by the bye, a trivial posting technical observation: from the BBS-side, one only gets the video link at all if the “Originally published at” is chosen and none at all if the “Show Full Post…” link is selected. …at least for this firefox v130.0 user [feckless emoji]

3 Likes

Dubai. Fits right in with the utter disregard, not to say contempt, for the workers who build and maintain their little capitalist paradise.

21 Likes

Why is the “cover photo” of Tokyo? Together with hed, sort of implies it’s Japan with the bad design, which is nearly libelous.

7 Likes

Thanks for the cremaster workout! These videos do it every time!

5 Likes

Probably a good call. I don’t have an issue with heights, and this was near panic inducing to watch.

8 Likes

Came for the “Nope” memes, left satisfied. Mostly because I didn’t watch the vid.

5 Likes

Six months later:

“Today the city council held a dedication ceremony for the James Kingston Memorial Crater…”

4 Likes

Why was he even up there, why would any one need to go up there, other than to take it down, cos its not like we need to put anteners up there any more.

Are you sure? Have you checked recently? Because I think I may have just developed one and going upstairs to bed may be an issue.

1 Like

Clicks and likes.

It does have a flashing warning light at the tip, presumably that will need maintenance.

According to wiki it was due to have a 50m portrait on it.

Personally I don’t mind the height, I have the same* risks of falling off a 2m ladder (even that sketchy half ladder add-on) on the ground as I would on a 2m ladder 282m in the air.

*Apart from wind and other environmental conditions

2 Likes

That would be hard. First, I’d have to build a second floor…

3 Likes

That would require a ladder probably.

I’d take a sit down and a nice cup of tea instead if I were you.

3 Likes

Another Nope! from me.

I saw Dixon’s chimney nearly every day for 25 years, and at no point felt the desire to climb up it.

6 Likes

It would also require some home construction knowledge, which I lack entirely. I’ll stick with the tea. That sounds nice.

2 Likes