WATCH: Man changes a lightbulb on a 1500-foot tower

[Permalink]

Fall support harness in use. Must be on the job.

When my skydiver friend climbed one of those to do a BASE jump many years ago, he didn’t bother with the safety ropes. He said that he automatically held on tightly enough to not fall. He was also young and a bit foolish.

1 Like

Well, at my job, we have a policy against getting that high.

5 Likes

How long before the drone puts him out of work?

3 Likes

The one selfie I want to see, and it’s not shown.

6 Likes

THAT’s a selfie? I always thought it was slang for masturbation!

1 Like

1500 feet with a harness is a lot safer than 300 feet freestyle. Watch 50 year old Fred Dibnah climb a chimney, especially at about 4:00 into the clip:

9 Likes

This would be a good application for a long life LED lamp.

9 Likes

I can see Wile E using this in an attempt to catch the roadrunner. Just add the right musical score, a Batman costume ( the Clooney one w/ nipples) and…

They sell extendible poles for changing lightbulbs. Why didn’t he just use one of them?

12 Likes

All right, now who’s the engineer who designed a 1500’ tower which requires someone to periodically climb it for repairs?

3 Likes

THAT’s a selfie? I always thought it was slang for masturbation!

Well they’re certainly a form of masturbation…

6 Likes

I’ve found that watching a lot of free climbing videos produces odd sensations in the right places, so perhaps you’re not too far off …

4 Likes

His greatest fear is that he’ll drop the bulb and have to go back down for another one.

9 Likes

Towers must have aviation safety lights. It’s not the engineer’s fault that humanity has collectively failed to design an infinite-life bulb.

5 Likes

Stroking the ego, in other words? :blush:

Climbing towers like this free - without clipping on - is actually OSHA approved. Some prefer that, since it’s quite a bit faster (though everyone clips on when they reach their workstation). This guy is more cautious than many.

1 Like

In the movies, he’d be doing this at night, in a lightning storm, with a 747 bearing down on the tower, while henchmen unloaded automatic weapons at him from the ground. And it would be only marginally more frightening to watch.

8 Likes

More than a bit. Wind gusts up there are amazingly strong and give no warning.

2 Likes

This video is a handy way of checking your scrotum without using your hands. Because I felt it quite distinctly on those high aerial views. Yikes.

4 Likes