An inspector takes incredible selfie video on top of the Chrysler Building

Originally published at: An inspector takes incredible selfie video on top of the Chrysler Building | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Whole lotta nope for fear of heights suffers today.

I hope he has that stick tethered. I think I saw what I hope was a string and not just a power cord. Being impaled by a selfie stick falling 1000 feet is probably not the most bizarre way to die in NYC, but it has to be up there.

15 Likes

I presumed it was a tether. You don’t get to do that job and be that careless (usual caveats about human nature apply).

As for why he has a selfie stick, perhaps it aids him in his inspections.

13 Likes

I don’t fault a guy for taking some pics. If I climbed up that high, I would want to document it too.

Probably good for review time. “Why do you think you deserve a raise?”

“Here, you climb up and do my job.”

15 Likes

[source: Batman Print Printable wall art Always be Yourself Unless you | Etsy]

7 Likes

Not even with a parachute, no thank you.

7 Likes

Maybe his back pack has a parachute. Or spare forks.

4 Likes

I wonder what good the helmet would be in a fall. As soon as Canada opens back up and things get back to normal, me and my daughter will be doing the CN Tower Edge Walk. We’ve been to the top many times but we gotta do this before I croak. My wife(mom) and her husband are chicken and said no way so it’s just the two of us.

8 Likes

I assumed it was more protection against things falling on them or flying into them (birds) given that it’s a work site and getting beaned unconscious would be especially perilous at those heights.

17 Likes

Or bopping their heads on something when climbing. I rung my bell pretty good once climbing into a bar on the monkey bars.

14 Likes

This reminds me of the scene from
Dharma Bums when Kerouac is running down a mountain trail with Gary Snyder:

“… in that flash I realized it’s impossible to fall off mountains you fool and with a yodel of my own I suddenly got up and began running down the mountain after him doing exactly the same huge leaps, the same fantastic runs and jumps…”

Of course, the consequence of not falling off of mountains (or the Chrysler building) is that you hit the next highest plateau and likely get impaled on pigeon spikes.

1 Like

A right of passage for all who scaled the jungle gym at kids.

5 Likes

that, and not all falls would be down to the ground. It’s easy to get swung around quite a bit from a fall of a few metres when your rope catches you.

I’m really curious about the process of getting up there, since I assume he had to inch his way up with that tangle of straps and rope as anchors moving along as he climbs.

5 Likes

Who the hell gave the pigeons spikes??

6 Likes

Likes like that’s the primary function of the “selfie stick”…

I wonder how long it will be before this sort of work is performed remotely by drone and steeple jack becomes a part of history.

4 Likes

Oh, if you haven’t had your fill of “CHEEZUS CHRIST!” today, check out how they clean Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Just ladders, bamboo poles, and bare feet. Oh, and some hard hats.

4 Likes

mallrats-batman

8 Likes

cm

9 Likes

tick-batmaneul

8 Likes

How’d he get all of those ropes up there in the first place :open_mouth:

Also, the idea climbing up a spire to see if it is safe skeeves me out. If it’s not safe then there you are, tied to the not safe spire…

5 Likes