Watch man climb to top of 101 story skyscraper in Dubai

[Read the post]

What he does seems incredibly dangerous and pretty foolish, but it entertains me as I sit here at my desk, so I approve.

7 Likes

one big pile of ā€œnopeā€ from me. Sitting here at my DESK the thought of falling from that high up makes me shudder. Neat to see the view though

6 Likes

I wonder why the radio engineers who climb the towers on skyscrapers donā€™t take GoPro videos?

Then again, the radio engineers Iā€™ve known tend to be older guys not hip enough to own a gopro, but completely crazy enough to climb to the top of the antennas on the Sears tower during a wind storm.

1 Like

They donā€™t make enough ā€˜nopeā€™ for me.

10 Likes

Well, thereā€™s this 1700 foot climb shot in HD, where the guy is at least tethering himself at every rung.

And then thereā€™s this 360p footage of a technician free-climbing a 1786 foot mast which is utterly bloody terrifying. From the point where he exits the steel framework onto the outer rungs to the end of the video, my testicles are doing their best to retract into my abdomen. At the very top, he stands on a plate about 18 inches square and LETS GO WITH BOTH HANDS TO TETHER HIMSELF. AAUGH!!!

Edited to add: that moment where the commentator says, apparently with complete lack of irony, that ā€œIf a stormā€™s blowing through, thereā€™s no quick way downā€.

7 Likes

Every time I watch that 1786 foot freeclimb video my testes do the same. This crane one had the same effect.

What is it with acrophobia and testicular gymnastics?

7 Likes

Oh, thereā€™s a quick way downā€¦ :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Itā€™s not that quick. I once was in a hot-air balloon which had a little platform from which a couple intrepid skydivers jumped. We watched them in freefall for way too long, expecting to see a little puff of dust like in the old Coyote Roadrunner films, but they finally opened their chutes.

5 Likes

101?

2 Likes

Think of it this way - if he slipped, heā€™d have a loooooong time to think about his lifeā€™s poor choices before he hit the groundā€¦

Yeah, Iā€™ll take this one with a king-sized can of nope!

1 Like

I find videos like this terrifying. Itā€™s fascinating to me though as I watch it, I know that one day no matter what I do Iā€™m going to die. I might as well be up doing it, for all the good worrying about it is going to do me.

1 Like

Itā€™s a good test of whether someone has a fear of heights or not :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought it was awesome, others in the house couldnā€™t even glance at it without cringing :smiley:

1 Like

My hands and feet are sweating.

A few weeks ago I started taking the stairs up to my office on the 31st floor each morning. Iā€™m so fucking dizzy by the time I get to my desk, I canā€™t imagine then climbing a slippery crane.

1 Like

NOPE?
REALLY?
NOPE!?!

HELL NO!
NO FVCKING WAY!
FVCK THIS SHlT!

Hot air balloon. Your life held aloft by a giant cloth bag, made out of thin, easily melted nylon, kept inflated by the heat from a giant column of open flame :astonished:

Not only that, but the balloon pilot was nicknamed ā€œBurnerā€ because of an incident that occurred early in his ballooning career.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.