Watch a free climber, already busted once, scale a 36-story London building as if it was a playground structure

Originally published at: Watch a free climber, already busted once, scale a 36-story London building as if it was a playground structure | Boing Boing

That’s the so-called “Stratosphere Tower” in Stratford E15.

1 Like

Fuuuuccckkkkk that.

6 Likes

That does look like a rather easy climb, lots of hand holds to clamber up.

Not that I’d make it up that far, or even attempt it…

5 Likes

It’s a feat of free climbing, that’s for sure, but how does it do anything to protest climate change? He will no doubt be back in jail, people may remember the stunt, but it won’t have changed anyone’s mind or accomplished anything.

2 Likes

Too bad he got such a shit camera guy. We saw the building once, we don’t need to see it every 30 seconds. The stunt is the guy, stick with the guy.

6 Likes

That’s not “deceptively easy” that is downright easy as far as climbing buildings goes. It’s like there’s a ladder on every floor.

Doing it 36 times would be tough, but I’d give it a shot if it were legal and if, after completing each floor, the building settled into the ground so I was never more than 10 feet off the ground (with a big mattress below too)

2 Likes

Ah, to be 21 and invincible again…

Wait, who am I kidding. I couldn’t have done this at 21.

3 Likes

Haven’t been on Reddit yet today, but I’ll be expecting to see this on r/KillTheCameraman.

“Protesting climate change” :roll_eyes: Oooooookay. You just wanted to climb a building so you climbed a building.

7 Likes

I suspect it’s for legal defense. He was locked up for this before so why not make a habit of civil disobedience with a purpose.

Then again I have a kid who just climbs everything in sight. I don’t think it’s bad to draw attention to climate change even if it’s a climbing game.

On the way down:

Fu
u
u
u
u
u
u
u
u
u
c
k!

2 Likes

“It’s mind-blowing how deceptively easy he makes it look.”

It’s mind-blowing how obviously easy he made it for the cops to arrest him again.

2 Likes

He may be a free climber now but very soon he won’t be.

And this was UK so it is not a

36-story apartment building

but a 36-storey building.

4 Likes

I dont like the idea of trusting the integrity of every single metal attachment that was made when the building was constructed. They aren’t load-bearing. If they were weak or defective, the only way you’d know is if a strong wind (or an errant climber) caused it to fail.

"Watch a freesoloing climber"

Almost all climbing is free climbing (ie, a rope is utilized, but weight is not put on it to aid in the actual ascent, only in the event of a fall). This was freesoloing.

5 Likes

Climate change: solved.

Video wouldn’t play for me, but found a copy that did at https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/other/free-climber-conquers-36-storey-stratosphere-tower/vi-AAMTjDM

Yes. Not technically challenging, and not even particularly strenuous since he can rest for as long as he likes after every floor. This video even shows him wandering around some of the ledges, presumably to rest and stretch out the muscles. But definitely high enough to be terrifying just the same.

For me, the most terrifying part is the last few seconds where he walks upright along the top railing with nothing to hold onto. Sun is low and not much traffic, so I’m guessing he did this soon after dawn when there are hopefully no unexpected air gusts.

Not a very good one, if that was his plan. Last I checked, neither “charity” nor “protest” are a license to break laws. I agree that’s probably what he was thinking though, because it’s the kind of dumb reasoning that young invincible-feeling white men engage in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.