Jet packin' Royal Marines board a ship like Iron Man

Originally published at: Jet packin' Royal Marines board a ship like Iron Man | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Wow, the precision they have with that suit is impressive. The “jet mittens” are something I’ve not seen before.

The real world application for this might be engaging with pirates. Real “war” at sea is probably done, but one can imagine search and rescue applications as well.

18 Likes

That’s very cool. It seems like you’d have to completely have the element of surprise though. Doesn’t appear to have any offensive or defensive capabilities.

10 Likes

I would be reassured to hear that this does have some realistic application, but it has the aroma of the kind of promotional stunt you’d expect from the navy of the UAE or something. Like, some Tory MP was in a pub made entirely of horse brasses, and met a constituent who’s a hoverboard importer with a sideline in jet packs, and ordered half a dozen because he seemed like a good bloke.

16 Likes

This looks incredibly cool, but the image of the guy landing, whipping out a pistol and turning around to face imaginary pirates or whatever shows that your arrival would likely be announced well in advance.

The guy who climbed the ladder up the side of the ship has some guts too.

6 Likes

Probably still stealthier than repelling from a helicopter or whatever the current method of boarding a large hostile vessel might be.

I imagine if they boarded at night without any lights on the suit then they would probably have enough time to secure some boarding party ladders or otherwise compromise the hostile vessel before the ship crew knew what was up even if they heard the jet noises.

Well, not until he lands anyway.

10 Likes

If there are enemies around I’d rather not have my hands stuck in some jet mittens. Maybe if they added an afterburner so you could use them as flame throwers?

6 Likes

That definitely looks to be the use case here. We had one of these guys visit our campus two summers ago to demonstrate. I think the only thing that limits its effectiveness is the noise level and how quickly they can transition those directional hand jets to a weapon. But it’s pretty awesome stuff to watch, and these guys really have the control down to a science.

6 Likes

Maybe they hope that the enemies will be so stunned by this ingenious contraption, that they will even forget to shoot the soldier. After all, who would shoot a guy so cool?

7 Likes

I feel like Somali pirates’ reaction might be more along the lines of “wow! I am going to get some really cool pirating done after I shoot this guy out of the air at leisure and then take his very expensive jet pack!”

14 Likes

They’re testing out built-in, helmet guided guns now, too. Just look and fire.

Pirate: "I’ll just shoot this dumb flying - "

Bang.

Pirate: “Rats.”

5 Likes
10 Likes

I’m not the only one here that had the James Bond theme playing in their head while watching that.

10 Likes

I enjoy the defensive tactic of looking so neat the enemy will just stare at your landing on their deck and you don’t need air cover from someone with a giant boomeranging hammer made of souls or something.

Well it worked at fort Eban Emael.

3 Likes

(Christopher Nolan furiously writing)
Nolan: “I need a jetpack”
Aid: “what?”
Nolan: “JET…PACK”

6 Likes

I hope that has a quick release tab. If it fails while you’re over the ocean it’s a sure drowning otherwise.

10 Likes

luckily it doubles as a submersible and a Lotus Esprit

11 Likes

Is anyone else thinking hard about how that big backpack unit looks a long way from neutrally buoyant; and those jet-hands look less than totally helpful for swimming?

Seems like a very, very, strong incentive to make sure that you land on the target ship…

5 Likes

I can think of quite a few non-combat uses. Getting the medic on board quickly, getting an emergency mechanic or pilot. Getting the ladders in place on a non-hostile, but stricken craft. Getting a surprise inspector on a smuggling ship before they can jettison the cargo.

Now I want to see the tandem air-cycle version to get a little team up on board.

8 Likes

That was my first thought. If he accidentally ends up in the drink, he’s going straight to the bottom.

3 Likes