Salvador Dalí's surreal tarot cards from the '70s and '80s being reissued

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/13/salvador-dalis-surreal-tarot.html

1 Like

Nice! But not a patch on Edward Gorey’s Fantod Pack

12 Likes

They reissue this deck ‘for the first time’ every couple year since it was originally published. The time I bought it, it was a ‘one time only’ reprint edition of 1000. That being said - the art is a weird mix of Dali’s painting and images he cut out of his History of Art encyclopedia. Very interesting. The actual ‘esoteric’ content of the cards runs towards the personal but is surprisingly deep and complete. This isn’t a novelty deck, but a real ‘working’ Tarot that is worthy of study. I’d put it somewhere between the deck of Austin Osman Spare and Crowley’s Thoth as opposed to the more generalized Rider-Waite or {shudder} Victorian Cat Doll type deck.

3 Likes

Speaking of Dali, has anyone else read “Giraffes on Horseback Salad”?

I’m a little surprised it hasn’t been getting more attention; it’s definitely a tremendous labor of love. (On the other hand, I didn’t think much of it myself, but then I’m not really the intended audience. Maybe the intended audience is just too small.)

3 Likes

As gag gifts go… this one is way over-priced.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.