Sam Altman returns to OpenAI

Altman suddenly had the funds to reboot his stalled Worldcoin Orb scheme, and yet, he supposedly doesn’t have any equity in OpenAI. :thinking:

4 Likes

What is Orb for Worldcoin?

Blania’s company makes a futuristic looking eyeball scanner that it calls “the Orb.” It scans your retina and spits out a unique identifier, basically a string of characters called a World ID.

the f…(this is getting disturbingly weird fast!)

6 Likes

If we’re talking about technology-born dystopian scenarios, that Torment Nexus hell child of Minority Report and Black Mirror is a lot more deserving of concern than a theoretical breakthrough in AGI.

5 Likes

hammer GIF

3 Likes

21xm2y

4 Likes

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show

5 Likes

… looks like “Q splat” to me :thinking:

4 Likes

6 Likes

thank you, @RickMycroft.

3 Likes

Surely a coincidence!

4 Likes

Well, at least it’s a cult that pays its worker bee level acolytes. Nice touch, if a bit unusual.

7 Likes

well, when you don’t have to pay any of the artists, authors, musicians, and voice actors who are actually creating your content - there’s apparently a lot of money left over to spread around amongst your friends

4 Likes

That’s just the sweetener. What do their employee stock options look like?

1 Like

Correct. And given how pension funds etc. work there is a good chance that a tiny bit of my money, and by extension me, is complicit in paying for this madness whether I want it or not.

5 Likes

2 Likes

In the olden days they would have looked sort of like a long counterfoil, but I understand these days they are more NFT-ish.

3 Likes

A little old lady once told me that there is no such thing. And then knocked me out with her handbag.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Same old same old.

5 Likes

TESCREAL; thanks for that word. It will do well for naming a Necron Overlord.

2 Likes