Samuel L. Jackson to be the first Amazon Alexa celebrity voice

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/26/samuel-l-jackson-to-be-the-fi.html

3 Likes
6 Likes

The company plans two versions of his voice — “explicit and non-explicit.”

“Alexa, what time is it?”

Explicit: “It’s twelve-ten.”
Non-explicit: “It’s twelvish.”

13 Likes

Voice assistant are still creepy and invasive AF and I don’t want one in my house.

But

I’m going to have a lot of fun switching my in-laws Alexa to the explicit Samuel Jackson voice.

9 Likes

“Alexa, what’s the weather forecast for today?”

“Why don’t you get your sorry ass off the couch and look out the fuckin’ window yourself?”

Yeah, I’m looking forward to ‘explicit mode’.

17 Likes

Now that I have Waze giving me directions in a Cookie Monster voice, coming home to Sam Jackson swearing the news at me will complete my day nicely.

10 Likes

Just listen closely and don’t say “What, Alexa?” too many times (especially when it dares you to).

13 Likes

I dont own an Alexa, but I admit i would be temped to buy one if i could carry out simulated discussion with Christopher Walker or James Earl Jones…

3 Likes

He must be earning a mother- ~&@$*! gazillion dollars for this.

1 Like

I’m sure the first thing a lot of users will do is try and get Alexa to say something about “snakes” on a “plane.”

2 Likes

Well, I have heretofore abstained from using voice assistants, but this changes everything.

5 Likes

Please Brian Blessed, whatever money it takes from Amazon, please do this too.

13 Likes

I would be tempted if they found an actor to simulate Douglas Rain’s voice. That way, when the system inevitably turns against me I wouldn’t be surprised:

8 Likes

I would also happily pay to hear:
• Stephen Fry
• James Earl Jones
• Helen Mirren
• Morgan Freeman

4 Likes

Too late for the voice I really want: Alan Rickman/Marvin the Paranoid Android.

7 Likes

Years ago, Stephen Fry provided his voice to a fancy alarm clock called Voco. If he provided his voice to one of these voice assistants, that (and the ability to change the wake-word to “Jeeves”) would sorely test my resistance to putting a surveillance device in my home.

6 Likes

“Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Mother fucker, you know you have enough Boba Fetts. Why don’t you go outside and talk to a girl?”

5 Likes

You read my motherf’n mind.

1 Like

I forgot about that! I wanted that clock so much, but for its price. I remember seeing a demo of it with the amazing quote: "Let us seize the day, and take it roughly from behind… as the Colonel used to say, in his unfortunate way.”

2 Likes

I was thinking more like:

Explicit: “Muthafucka, please… It’s twelve-ten, get your sorry ass out of bed”.

1 Like