San Diego school district acquires MRAP (basically a tank) for cheap from feds

I don’t know whether it was pinched, licensed, or ‘inspired’; but the MRAP is a direct conceptual descendant of the Casspir(though, just as South Africa started building them based on the requirements of the South African Border War, the MRAP scope-creeped its way into domestic work).

Also, at least some of the MRAP designs have direct South African roots:the RG-33 and RG-31 are BAE Systems Land Systems South Africa products, and the Force Protection Inc. Cougar and Buffalo are South African designs.

2 Likes

They’ll roll it out in response to the first credible (or not) bomb threat, 'cause it’s like, bomb proof.

2 Likes

After war weapons are broken down and destroyed and giving military weapons to civil organizations is stupid, will ultimately destroy the country, and unravel civil society. By the giving military weapons civil organizations the goal of the Pentagon is clear, militarize society. A militarized society doesn’t care about freedom, liberty, equality, real prosperity, and fraternity. A militarized society is only concerned with destroying an enemy, any enemy.

1 Like

It’s not a tank, it’s an ice cream van.

(If Mark Thomas hadn’t pissed off so many “important” people, I’m sure there would be an episode of Product for everything by now)

3 Likes

So that they can sit in the parking lot keeping track of who enters and leaves during the school day. We didn’t have police at my high school, just security guards, but that is one of the things they did.

So, linguists, how much armor should a civilian law enforcement vehicle, tracked or wheeled, have?

How much is the correct amount of armor for a public school setting?

How many maintenance dollars are worth budgeting on it?

Maybe it will be useful to put down the inevitable strike over the shortage of teachers?

1 Like

Pretty sure a used Ford Econoline van would deliver teddy bears and emergency supplies just as well, and people could borrow it on the weekends to help them move or go to a band gig.

4 Likes

That your tank is a massive waste of taxpayer funds, and is on their lawn.

3 Likes

None.

None.

$0.

But the impact of all of the above is a lot smaller than people seem to be thinking. Worst case scenario is that this truck gets left to rust and eventually is sold as scrap, costing the school district some percentage of their $5000 investment. Of course, because this was an internal sale, the $5000 is in fact just shuffled into another part of government, so the real cost to the taxpayer is basically only the cost of fuel of moving this MRAP from one part of the country to another before scrapping it, instead of scrapping it in place.

Big deal.

1 Like

Why so many turns?
I thought that the reason that they got the MRAP was so that they could smash through walls and stuff.
FTFY:

11 Likes

Don’t worry they are just for launching Teddy Bears into the arms of frightened children.

3 Likes

I think it’s bleakly hilarious that anyone who mentions anything about the classification of armored vehicles here is likely to be attacked just as though they were actually supporting the idea of school districts owning armored vehicles.

But then again I’m developing an appreciation for dark absurdities this week.

4 Likes

There, FTFY.

5 Likes

Increased public cynicism over the poor decisionmaking leading to yet more voter apathy: priceless.

1 Like

You’d need a bulldozer or something to take that route. :wink:

(oh my lord I hate the new wink icon)

3 Likes

It’s because it’s a) utterly predictable that it’ll come up because it always does and never serves any purpose, and b) it appears that you are derailing the discussion by arguing about semantics (yeah yeah, journalism standards etc etc).

That said, there really isn’t any other discussion to be had here, unless someone wants to start comparing San Diego to Israel (or Utah, perhaps). Is there anyone who doesn’t think a school police force (WTF, a school police force?) owning this thing is fucking stupid, whatever it’s called?

3 Likes

Next on their shopping list.

6 Likes

Losing…focus…on work tasks…Friday+Tankopedia…too…strong…

2 Likes

Me too! Let’s all go in together and buy a town, then apply to the program. Sure the initial investment of $400k is steep, but then we could get all kinds of gear for almost nothing - MRAPs, drones, body armor, grenade launchers…heck, some towns even get helicopters and real planes! Together we could make the safest city in America!

I’m off to kickstarter now to raise some money. Are you in? Anyone who supports me gets a free “my other car is an MRAP” t-shirt. Top level supporters get “Deputy Mayor” titles and the keys to a military vehicle of their choice.

8 Likes

OK Friday, you win…

EDITED to add credit for the “teddy bear skull” (that was my google image search string…) for Stephanie Metz’ teddy bear natural history collection, it’s actually really cool…

12 Likes