San Francisco drinks its way thru the pandemic

Curious choice of illustrative clip.
Why not this one?

There is at least one reason alcohol sales need to continue, unfortunately for people severely addicted to it, they can not quit cold turkey like you could perhaps other drugs. When my friend was an ER nurse they kept a few cans of PBR in the pharmacy for this reason. I’m over 1.5 years sober and it’s driving me nuts on social media right now, everyone using this as an opportunity to take up day drinking, but the last thing we need is a bunch of people with alcohol withdrawal showing up at the ER. Hopefully it keeps y’all employed at least, at at least around here they’ve stopped enforcing any rules that would stop restaurants from delivering alcohol so at least people are drinking at home and not driving.

7 Likes

I don’t know if you’re an Old Overholt kind of fella, but I just picked up a bottle and noticed that they’ve now gone non chill filtered and bumped the proof up to 86°. That’s like finding out that a base model Mazda now has self-driving capabilities!

3 Likes

We also don’t take alcohol seriously as a drug until people are in very bad shape.

9 Likes

Like this one?

4 Likes

I mentioned that.

This Old Overholt is a fine sipping whiskey. I have several handles of Jim Beam, plus with my birthday last month I received many bottles of the good stuff I personally would only purchase if the money fell into my hand; Baby Hudson, Monkey Shoulder, Suntory, Wild Turkey [barrel aged], Four Roses [b.a.], Markers Mark, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, and last but not least Larceny.

So BB’ers I am stocked up!

5 Likes

Whos-afraid-of-Virginia-Woolf-9

5 Likes

I was the first Chief Distiller of that whiskey! If you can find it, Hudson 4-Grain is a superior bourbon. Much more grain complexity without the corn angularity.

And yeah, I only drink it when I get a bottle for free or pull one from the cellar.

2 Likes

Now I understand your BB name…

2 Likes

I think this movie clip is more applicable…

5 Likes

Hey, I’m Seamus Andrew Murphy and I approve of that message!

I prefer rum, Malbec, red ales, and of course Guinness, but for sure the state I’m in considers alcohol essential.

And that is…the state of inebriation!

6 Likes

Several of our local distilleries have turned over production to hand sanitizer, mostly for hospitals and doctors. (The real heros)

3 Likes

That’s some bullshit right there. Guns are okay, but booze are not? I could argue that neither are essential, but if I had to pick one, it wouldn’t be guns.

4 Likes

Consider me an unintentional prepper.

On-nomi, anyone?

Ok, later. Much later.

5 Likes
1 Like

Just a little digestiv

Off-topic, one of my favourite items on the menu of a small bistro near the Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris is a glass of Gewurstraminer.

I can’t check if they still offer it. No online presence, to my knowledge.

1 Like

Someone (I’m too lazy to find the tweet) stuck at home with the kiddos predicted that any baby boom will be exclusively first children.

2 Likes

Oh yes. Anyone who’s gone through “Digital Learning Days” will be cured of any baby fever. And our governor just closed school through the end of the school year (which was supposed to be May 20).