San Francisco protestors toss electric scooters in front of tech company commuter buses

I won’t disagree, as I can’t claim to fully understand the work of Messrs Dunning and Kruger, but I’ve never seen it used that way, and the Wikipedia article makes no reference to that meaning. (Citation please? :slight_smile:

I think it’s called the “Trump effect”. :joy:

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see a study in the differences between public and private mass transit on the effects on congestion. Even if it helped though, I fully sympathize with the objections to a classist mass transit system.

A possibly mis-remembered YouTube explainer I saw a couple of years ago. I’ll try to track it down after work.

5 Likes

I really value those electric scooters

Absolutely. And it’s important to stress how FAST this happened. (Or at least, how fast it seemed to happen). While workers were once forced to look around Cupertino for a living situation, or suffer a brutal car commute, the buses made it easy to live in SF. I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years, and once the buses rolled in, it was like night and day, esp in lesser-“desirable” neighborhoods.

Also, the Ellis Act royally f-ed up the cost of living.
As opposed to New York, where it’s tough to kick out granny to get a higher-paying tenant, the Ellis Act made it horrifyingly easy to hand out no fault evictions just to turn over your apartment to any 21 year old with a 6-figure salary. Artists, the elderly, POC communities, and long-timers were suddenly being evicted from their long-term living situations and had very little recourse. That, IMO, is the biggest driver of all of this.

21 Likes

Plus this:

Basically, you leave it wherever when you’re done and some gig-worker drives around and scoops up as many as they can find to charge overnight.

12 Likes

Damn. This is really going to be trouble for my social/mobile petard-as-a-service platform solution…

1 Like

Yes. It’s additional competition for limited housing units, and nobody else can compete with Valley $$$. Those buses might as well be driving everybody else to Stockton where they’ll get to live from now on.

We have always been at war with Eastasia

6 Likes

This is more about Engineer’s Disease than Dunning-Kruger.

11 Likes

THANK YOU!

6 Likes

The issues start to pile up: In addition to those listed is that the Tech buses go down narrow streets in the Mission and elsewhere, they should have hubs and stick to them and have the passengers take last-mile transport home.
24th-25th street is like ground zero for gentrification, exponentially more than other SF neighborhoods, it’s no surprise that this happened there.
The tech buses are notoriously guilty of parking violations, (double parking) in busy areas, There is a blue eBay bus that parks in front of my building every weekday and takes out a lane of traffic during high commute, it stages and then picks up passengers, there is a lot of that. Then they boast how they are taking cars off the road, The Genentech buses have a sign on their back “this vehicle removes 120 cars”, for the non-peak hours if only 2 people are being transported it is more like a tech stretch limo.
The tech workers seem to have no regard for the neighborhoods, and wash their hands of personal responsibility.

10 Likes

In the '90s I attended a lecture about the history of gentrification around Boston. The presenter used slides based on a color coded map, with different hues for each ethnic group. In each slide, he showed how the groups moved around the city every 5-10 years since the 1930s. When set to a slideshow, the groups looked like they were chasing each other in a big circle.

The depressing part of the whole thing was learning how the poor were always renters, and the owners of the buildings were the only real winners. Recent studies show there hasn’t been improvement there, either. The Median Net Worth of Black Bostonians Is Lower Than the Cost of Lunch

16 Likes

12 Likes

Responsibility for what, exactly? Living in a desirable city that others also want to live in? Using mass transit?

5 Likes

It’s not the busses themselves that are the main problem. They’ve become the perfect symbol of all the ways long-term residents feel about being squeezed out of their communities and their own life.

Community: “Public transport is pretty bad. We need to get more buses running.”

SF: “Sorry, there is nothing to do. No money available.”

Tech Bros: “Whoh, public transport here sucks!”

SF: “Really? Wow, you’re right right. Here use this busses to go to work. Problem solved.”

Tech Bros: "Awesome dude. Problem solved.

Community: “Cool, so can we use these busses too?”

SF: “No. They are not for you. The problem has been solved.”

Community: “Yes, but public transport is still…”

SF: “I said ‘Problem Solved’!”

Of course, residents know these are private buses, they’re not stupid. I think overwhelmingly the anger and frustration comes from effectively being told again and again that “These new guys are important. You don’t matter.”

10 Likes

Who is saying that, precisely?

2 Likes

If they have their own shuttles for sole use by their own employees, that’s NOT mass transit; it’s basically internal company ‘carpooling,’ and it does nothing to help everyone else taking actual public transportation.

8 Likes

Mass transit is mass transit if it moves a lot of people from place to place. I think the tech buses meet that goal. The fact that it is private doesn’t negate the fact that it is moving a lot of people.

5 Likes

For their buses, did you not read my post at all?

2 Likes

But this is where it gets gray in a hurry. What’s wrong with the buses, precisely? They, like every other private vehicle on the road, are permitted to use the road. The city of SF has imposed regulations on those private vehicles (which I support) and which the buses ostensibly are in compliance with. So what is the standard you are using to single out the tech buses from all the other private vehicles on the road in SF?

Are you saying they are bad just because they are tech buses? Or is it that you resent the people who ride them? Is that legally supportable?

5 Likes

The distance and terrain makes a public bus service less practical than private coaches, as it crosses numerous county and municipal lines and having interim stops would lengthen the ride to something not conducive to tech’s typical 10-hour-plus workday. Also on a practical note, there is understandable resentment over additional stress on city streets in the service of a very well-off company not paying for any of the city’s infrastructure. (Side deals have been discussed and on occasion struck for the companies to kick in a little something to San Francisco.)

These problems are intimately connected. There is a remarkable tendency for tech-gentrifiers in particular to move into an established neighborhood, get to know precisely none of the neighbors, and tell these neighbors (whose names they don’t even know) how they should be living. Or worse, call the cops over ridiculous stuff that could have been settled with an amiable conversation or possibly just minding your own business.

I understand that often they’re quite young and lack the perspective that time will bring—including how unsustainable their work hours are and that maybe they should take an afternoon to sit on the front steps and nod at passersby. [Full disclosure: I live in Oakland and have since 1990, so I’ve seen several areas gentrify and have been the thin edge of the gentrifying wedge a couple of times. But I really like to sit on the front steps and nod at passersby.]

6 Likes