San Francisco Uber driver distributing filter masks to passengers

True.

Still, I once had a neighbor accidentally set fire to the apartment building we were living in; the very idea of losing everything but your life is scary as shit.

7 Likes

I’d love to read a scholarly article expounding on this. I’m having trouble picturing “gas hording” unless someone goes full Charlie from Always Sunny and start filling trash cans with it:

Not that it’s really any of your business, but, yes; yes he is.

Spent much of the last week doing animal rescue and other volunteer work in Malibu. Have assorted burns, scrapes and a cat bite to show for it.

Not that I need to be a victim to say what I did; but since you asked…

I vote for you to be the canary.

Well, I spent much of the last week dodging firebrands in Malibu, mostly without wearing a respirator.

Most of the fireline crews don’t wear them, either. Too much breathing restriction for strenuous work.

Sometimes when things got a bit thick and I wasn’t working hard, I’d grab an N95 mask out of the boxful I brought with me, and I once gratefully borrowed a spare PPEL when the ‘beach blanket’ (the thick layer of cooled smoke hovering over the ocean and beach) got pushed back onshore by a brief spell of onshore air flow (a boon to firefighters, but nasty for refugees on the beach).

So there’s your canary report:

Not Dead Yet. :mask:

I wasn’t asking because I want to know your business, or anything personally relevant about you.

Good… because you’re not.

Goody, goody gumdrops for you; so you’re not a completely heartless person, groovy. Someone should get you a cookie, STAT.

No comment.

4 Likes
4 Likes

…and yet you say I’m the one who’s “needlessly condescending”?

You asked. I answered. Explained why I was in smoky Malibu instead of my (just somewhat*) smoky home.

*(Well, mostly only somewhat, I guess – I understand it got a bit grim when the flow reversal pushed the smoke onshore over LA, but that was just a couple of days, and I was mostly in Malibu for those days, which we used to try pull out all the “sheltered-in-place” animals and people that didn’t make it out before the initial pass of the firestorm, knowing that the Santa Anas would return, and this was their one big chance to evac without risking burning to death in a firestorm. Fun times.)

Yep, that is what I said.

It’s finally raining in the Bay Area, bringing some much needed relief… so I’m gonna be THANKFUL for that, and just quit bickering with you pointlessly.

Good day.

2 Likes

I miss Maggie

2 Likes

But to hell with being a decent person who cares about his/her fellow man, and with actually trying to prevent such dire future outcomes; an underpaid Uber driver made a few extra bucks hawking masks while the opportunity was ripe!

/s

She was gone before my time, but I hear she was a force to be reckoned with.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.