San Francisco's 58-story "leaning tower" is sinking fast

OH! I hadn’t even considered that.

That feels like a weird metric, though. Normally I think of “tilt” as deviation from the vertical. So a six-inch tilt is six inches left or right of where it should be.

But this ground-level bit is interesting, as it factors in the width of the building. So for the same angular offset, a wider building will “tilt” more than a narrower one at the base?

1 Like

Why is there not a single Idiocracy skyline shot in the comments?

3 Likes

Will someone please redo the “This Is Fine” Dog comic and replace the fire with the tilting building.

I have too much work to do today and it’s hard to concentrate knowing it hasn’t been done. Or I haven’t seen it.

Two panel version is fine. The six panel version would probably be just excessive.

7 Likes

Quick! Start adding stories to the top but offset them so they counter the tilt.

9 Likes

The service entrance side is the side that’s not sinking, see? Once those power lines and pipes shear off it’ll straighten right back up again! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Call up Google/Apple/etc. to handle it. Once it falls they’ll build a blimp terminal over the ruins so their employees can get around a little easier.

1 Like

Maybe they’re trying to copy Chicago’s Tilt on the cheap?

1 Like

“What concerns me most is the tilting,” says Buttery, 76, a retired real estate developer.

Can’t put anything past THIS guy!

18 Likes

I’m sure that has to be accounted for, but even if it isn’t, large buildings move around quite a bit:

How Much Do Skyscrapers Actually Move?

Robert Halvorson and Michael Fletcher made the trip to switch on equipment they had rented that would measure how the wind would play with the building, batting it back and forth along both axes and twisting it around its core. Then, they stayed for several hours—past the point when they could no longer walk upright, well beyond the moment when they realized they could see flickering lights in the distance coming in and out of view as the tower contorted.

1 Like

A lot of the new arrivals to San Francisco are pretty sharp and I certainly hope they enjoy their traditional allotment of six months residency before leaving for greener pastures.

Many of them have pointed out that the ridiculous real estate expenses of the region are due to a constricted supply. If more housing is built, prices will go down. As they say, “That’s just Econ 101.”

We just failed Contracting 101, Architecture 101, and Construction 101. Econ 101 instructions insufficient: Penis stuck in 16-inch sink.

4 Likes

really long guy wires?

2 Likes

All they have to do is add 14-15 floors to the top and create an overhang on the opposite side to the lean.

(According to the article their footings are 150-180 feet short of bed rock. So really they may only have to add 14-15 stories assuming each to be 12.67ft.)

BAM problem solved.

7 Likes

Not a problem. For the next seven years, we’d just like everyone to move to the other side of the building so that it can even out.

7 Likes

The building was always expected to settle, just not this far this fast. Good question about how to build slack into plumbing though — electric and telecom don’t need to be in rigid conduit, but I can’t see flexible hoses for that amount of water and sewage holding together indefinitely.

3 Likes

What’s the worst that could happen

4 Likes

When I worked in Japan in '97, one earthquake stands out. I was at my desk on the 19th floor of the Fujitsu building in Makuhari, Chiba. The building began to sway, slowly at first but then to a greater and greater degree. About the time my usually nonchalant Japanese co-workers started taking cover under their desks, I distinctly recall looking out at the NTT building across the street to see it moving in the opposite direction. The amount of “offset” from normal was absolutely surreal.

13 Likes

I still don’t get how they do that. I mean, I know how they do it, I just don’t know how they can lay out so many of them with multiple people working on it and never have one just not get set up just right and topple over, or you brush up on one with your arm or what ever. I saw one making of way back when and they had ways of setting up little things, L shaped protectors that would block sections from each other. but even then I would be afraid removing one would set it off prematurely.

1 Like

Late stage capitalism?

And… uh… lemme guess… the developers and the building are “too big to fail?”

5 Likes

I could make a snarky comment about Web 2.0 companies built on insufficient foundations and so it could be seen as SOP for the area, but that would be a bit cheap. How profitable is Twitter, again?

2 Likes

It happens and you start over…

1 Like