San Francisco's 58-story "leaning tower" is sinking fast

Hmm… I’m not that sure it’s really the foundations… maybe the developers were really cheap and hired El Mystico and Janet

You could put electromagnets under the floor and a slug of iron in the end of each domino, so they’d “want” to stand up until you cut the power.

1 Like

19 Likes

Okay. I’ll rest easy now. /s

5 Likes

I recommend magic.

6 Likes

Bay area fixed that for you.

1 Like

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard
Live in San Francisco once, but leave before it falls down on you

5 Likes

Did you read the article? It’s disrupting their golf practice.

I came looking for that one. Python fans must be getting older and slower, reply number 45 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

When engineering goes bad: The Tacoma Narrows Bridge
I can’t recall something like this ever happening to a skyscraper, however; I wonder if an earthquake at just the right resonant frequency might have an impact.

3 Likes

There’s been at least one close call. 601 Lexington in NYC (once known as Citicorp Center; I’m not sure what the name is now, maybe Citigroup Center?) had a disastrous design flaw that was discovered by an architecture student. They repaired it before the building could come down. Damn Interesting article about it here.

6 Likes

Ohhh yeah; I remember that one. The engineers had calculated for winds that blew against the flat sides of the building, but not across a corner. They had to add structural welds (eta: NOT bracing) to reinforce against that.

*I don’t know why I remember stuff like that, call it a weakness.
Bugs Bunny:
Aren’t you ashamed of yourself, roastin’ children!

Witch Hazel:
Call it a weakness.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Oh i totally need to find some documentary-type show that probably includes the construction of this building and how they amazingly engineered it in such a modern way to account for the geology and earthquakes.

1 Like

They are just holding it wrong.

2 Likes

How much tilt before the elevators scrape on their shafts?

2 Likes

What you need here is a very large garden stake and a good long length of twine.

4 Likes

thank god we have a dutch angle photo to show us how severely this tower is leaning

2 Likes
2 Likes