San Francisco's 58-story "leaning tower" is sinking fast

I think that the penthouse should be requisitioned as the new Executive Office in case Trump wins the election. Adding a few tons of gold leaf to the fixtures and fittings should speed up the process.

2 Likes

Decades ago, my Dad was involved in a project at Birmingham University, to save a sinking German bank. They eventually froze the ground and then created a concrete raft for the building to float on. By this time the ground floor had become a basement.

I wonder how many of the very wealthy types resident there are also the ones that lobby against ‘the big state’ and ‘pesky regulations’ that would likely have prevented this issue from happening in the first place…

4 Likes

It’s entirely plausible to move large buildings out of the way in order to either relocate it or fix the grading that it sits on. A large portion of this was done in Chicago in the mid 1800’s, sometimes with people still in the building, It’s a really cool story that’s covered in the podcast Futility Closet

3 Likes

I think this is an easy fix guys. Just add rope…

5 Likes

7 Likes

Wow! That’s amazing!

1 Like

[quote=“SamSam, post:17, topic:88013, full:true”]

Maybe you’re being super-technical, but it seems clear what this means: one side has sunk two inches more than the other.[/quote]

Your explanation is probably correct, but I had the same reaction when I read the article: normally if you report tilt in linear units (instead of angle) it means offset from straight vertical, in which case @stephen_schenck’s objection is valid. Moreover, if the “2 inches” at the base really does mean one side has sunk 2 inches more than the other, does it mean the same thing at the top? Is one side of the building 6 inches shorter than the other at the top? How did the sinking manage to create this 4 inch difference above the ground?

2 Likes

All perfectly valid questions. My guess is that this article was not written by a structural engineer.

1 Like

SAlesforce is building their new gigantic tower right next door. They definitely could put a connector at the top to help stop the lean, or to knock them all down like dominos.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.